Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to what type of grease everyone is using for the primary sheave roller weights? I would also like to know what opinions are for greaseless weights vs greased? Advantages vs dissadvantages?

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
I'm running lighter grizzly weights, but they are oem weights, wave they are running greaseless.
Yamaha only uses grease in there to reduce noise slightly, not wear. Personally, I don't notice a difference in noise.

As for advantages, much cleaner inside, no dirt/dust impregnated grease to change out occasionally as basic maintenance.
Disadvantages, as mentioned, noise, but again, I didn't notice and real difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm running lighter grizzly weights, but they are oem weights, wave they are running greaseless.
Yamaha only uses grease in there to reduce noise slightly, not wear. Personally, I don't notice a difference in noise.

As for advantages, much cleaner inside, no dirt/dust impregnated grease to change out occasionally as basic maintenance.
Disadvantages, as mentioned, noise, but again, I didn't notice and real difference.

And your not seeing any wear on them with no grease? I ask because it seems like they would wear faster with the plastic outer coating sliding aginst metal.

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
And your not seeing any wear on them with no grease? I ask because it seems like they would wear faster with the plastic outer coating sliding aginst metal.
No because they are a roller, not a slide

·
Registered
595 Posts
I ve been using the Yamaha lube cvt grease for nearly 6000 miles without issues

Reactions: john zane
1 - 5 of 5 Posts