Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First..I would like to thank all those that have posted a question or and answer on here. Also, I would like to thank everyone about what MOD's they have done, the advice that they have handed out and how they have gone about it. (schmeg, dirtysquared, dashaint, ski, just4kixx, justlooking, nomad and sooo many others) It is helping me allot and I'm sure others, in making decisions on what routes to take for upgrading my Kodiak and how to do it. Purchased mine in September and its a big upgrade from my old Foreman. Joined here less than a month ago. Great forum!

My question is, if I can't find the Yamaha grease for re-doing the clutch weights, what is the best alternative to use? or should I worry about cleaning and re-greasing the primary and replacing the grease if I only have about 80kms on it. Can I just grease and replace the new weights and put them in? Never did my own maintenance but starting to now. Saves $$$$
I tow allot of weight, sometimes 500-700lbs plus gear and sometimes 2 up around some pretty rough terrain, rocks mud, steep Canadian shield and was wondering if I should shim it 1mm or 1.5mm. Not to worried about top end.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was told to simply use the grease that's there now. Remove old weights, with finger remove grease from them and rub all over the new weights. Bada bing bada boom :) Not sure if you would even need to shim, but to be safe start with 1mm and work your way up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Going to go with the 1mm shim then. Stopped by the Yamaha dealer and they gave me a small amount of grease to put on the rollers. Said that should do

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought both greases. The Yamamatic grease was from Rocky Mtn. The polyurea Grease I purchased from JBS hotrods.

I Also picked up a purple spring and a 1mm shim. I also found a guy that sells Clutch tools, He is located in Canada and available via email. I bought a set off him but I haven't had a chance to get into that yet, but Will post some results when I get it finished.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought both greases. The Yamamatic grease was from Rocky Mtn. The polyurea Grease I purchased from JBS hotrods.

I Also picked up a purple spring and a 1mm shim. I also found a guy that sells Clutch tools, He is located in Canada and available via email. I bought a set off him but I haven't had a chance to get into that yet, but Will post some results when I get it finished.

Did the Grizzly weights and 1mm shim. It definitely gives it more snap off the start. I have the spring but going to wait and see how it preforms with new Mods'
Great call on getting the Clutch tool. A racket strap around the sheave or other means is not the way to go, at least that's what I found. I lucked out using a clamping tool from Canadian Tire but took 2 people to torque. Who's the guy from up this way with the clutch tool? Thinking of picking one up for future clutch cleanings. Yamaha tool is a little pricey
Found this in the US if your interested - http://mcbperformance.com/i-8036515-slp-clutch-holding-tool-for-arctic-cat-polaris-and-yamaha.html
Let us know your thoughts on the Mods

Reactions: dirtysquared

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is the video I found them on.
https://youtu.be/UEkGEdlCYK4

I purchased a set.. It was about $100 USD. He had to do currancy conversions for the international money, I paid for international shipping. It was well worth it though.

Watch the video, and if your interested, shoot him an email. I got a very fast response, and was pleased with the transaction.

[email protected]

The lighter weights really wakes these Kodiak's up! I'm glad that it worked out for you :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! That looks like a great tool and easy to use. I will be contacting him when I stop spending $$ on other Mods
Next...new tail light and new LED bulbs for the headlights on order then the clutch arrester in a few months.
Lighter weights make a huge difference. Looking forward to trying it out on the trails around here. Let us know how that spring affects the shifting

·
Registered
392 Posts
Anyone know why the grease would be flying out of my primary and getting everywhere? Getting on everything

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Did you reintall the the O ring on the primary movable sheave that seals the cover?

If so it may have gotten cut / damaged during reassembly

Attachments

Reactions: john zane
1 - 10 of 10 Posts