Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my tuner the first thing I did was check into the Power Commander V for the new 686cc models, and nothing was available. I glanced at their website and I noticed that the unit for the previous 708 models says it now works through 2021 model years. Has anyone tried one yet on the new 686cc? I like my bullet tuner but would enjoy tinkering with timing, as well as more overall tunability. Not to say I dont like the bullet tuner, its been an awesome little product.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Rectangle
Eyebrow Eye Eyelash Leg Human body

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
The 686cc is actually not new starting in 2019. It was the same version of engine where the 686cc top end was updated starting in 2014 on the Grizzly 700. If you go to an OEM parts dealer and look up 2019-2021 or 2014-2015 700 machines, drill down into the engine parts and you'll see they share all the same top and bottom end engine parts. However, the ECU did change in 2019.

And fully agree with you on the flexibility of the Power Commander V as it seems it has far more adjustability than Bullet Box tuners which can only add fuel. Since I am at altitude, I may some day purchase the PC V so I can adjust fueling as there are throttle positions where I'm running rich. And as a FYI, make sure and get yourself an AFR meter installed if you are going to mess with the tuning. Far better than a one time dyno run.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As did I, that’s why I was referring it to the new 686, just because of the ecu being different. I’m skeptical that this will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
I believe the physical connectors have been the same ones used for all of the Grizzly/Kodiak 700s... but that is strictly a guess. I know the EHS bullet box tuner I have for my 2014 686cc had the label crossed out in pen over 2016+ and hand written with 2014. But as you may or may not know, with those tuners, the only difference is the preset settings, so I should be able to remove my tuner and put it on any Grizzly/Kodiak 700 and adjust to that bike and conditions.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Contact James at JBS.
When I got mine from him (older Kodiak) he put a great tune on it so it was plug and play.
You have to be about the only portion on here that will trust anything that man says. He has such a bad reputation across the atv forums.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MarshMaster

·
Registered
348 Posts
You have to be about the only portion on here that will trust anything that man says. He has such a bad reputation across the atv forums.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I spoke with both him and his wife on the phone, and received excellent customer service.
My purchase was a couple years back...PCV, HMF exhaust, extreme sheave, Dr OD weights, secondary sheave spring, and wet clutch slug kit. He answered all my questions well, and asked me about my riding and terrain, and nailed the lighter weights size for my tire setup and mountain riding. He had recently (back then) dyno tuned a 700 so the tune he loaded into the PCV worked quite well. I've never had to take it to a dyno to tweak the tune.
Looking at his primary sheave video I could see where others might not take the criticism well and he is a litlle verbose, but his sheave does works flawlessly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts