Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum as I just looked at a 2016 Kodiak 700 Base model I am looking at purchasing from the original owner.

I am concerned since I have heard the early 2016 models had a blue smoke issue from valve seals and possibly other issues. I test drove this and it did not seem to have these issues but I did not look real close since I had not read about this issue prior to looking at it. Just curious if there was a serial number or build date when this problem was resolved?

The seller also says the machine comes with a winch that he bought and paid for when he bought this in May 2016 but he never took it back to the dealer to get this installed or any other service. He states he has done oil changes and other service at home.

I called the dealer and they did advise yes, the story on the winch is correct and if I purchase it I can bring it in and they will install the Yamaha (warn 2500 lb.) winch for free. They also advised that this was bought with a warranty that extends to December 2020 and for $40 I can transfer this to my name.

Is $4300 a good deal on this machine. The only cosmetic issue (that seller pointed out) is the front bar tube (guard) that runs horizontal is pushed in slightly and up against the plastic body work. It is also dusty from being ridden and has some grass in the under carriage from being ridden through some pasture. Since no hour meter or odometer on the base model, I don't know how much its been ridden but tires look like they have little use on them.

Super Moderator
For that price I would go for it along with paying the dealer the $40 to transfer the warranty over. That what if a issue does come up you can just drop it off at their shop and not worry about it.

On the service part I can understand why he didn't have the dealer take care of things. It gets expensive if you tell the dealer that it needs it's first service since that usually means that they will pull it apart to adjust the valves which usually doesn't need to be done. But if it is done then there goes a lot of bucks.

Also get the winch installed. You might never need it but then again you just might depending on where you ride. You also might want to look into a few other items from the dealer such as CV joint guards. Of you you can handle a wrench just find the cheapest on line dealer and go with them. On the odometer/hour meter it would be up to you. I picked up a aftermarket gauge set from Trail Tech that has the speedometer, odometer, water temperature and a few other things. I then built a mount for it to install between the handlebars. But if you would like to go with just a hour meter then Amazon had hundreds of them that you can install under the battery cover to keep out of the weather, then you will know what the hours are for service.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Response

Thanks JimP for the response. When I talked to the dealer he said first service is usually around $175 for labor and usually ends up being around $225 total after oil change, filter, spark plugs, etc. Not sure if that includes valve adjustment. If it does, I will purchase the Kodiak and do the oil change, filters and spark plugs and have them do the valve adjustment if its not too much.

If valve adjustment was not included in that price, I may take your advice and opt out of that.

Registered
DD, that is an amazing price! I bought a new 16 EPS in January of that year and there is no way I would let mine go anywhere near that price. After the tax was added to my purchase price it was like $8300 out the door. Maybe I got hosed on the deal but it was the best price I could find within 100 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I am a new owner

I bought and picked this up this morning.

I have not noticed any of the smoke at start up issues so hopefully this does not have that gremlin. Took it to car wash and cleaned it up.

Doing oil change and filter as well as air filter maint prob Monday as well as spark plugs.

I have a December 29th appt. for winch install. Dealer mentioned they pretty much do what I am planning on doing as well as hitting the grease ports and they check valves if needed for initial maint.. I asked if they could check valves at my appt. and he kind of hesitated and said I'll write that down. I got the feeling they really don't check valves unless they sense something is wrong.

Registered
When I had mine in for the first service they told me they don't touch them. Only ones they ever had to see was the old 600 grizzly engine

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I went to my dealer to get the extended warranty put in my name. They pretty much said the same thing that they would not even mess with the valves but suggested looking at when its due for 2nd valve check which I thought was 1500 hours.

Super Moderator
It sounds like you have a good dealer.

The big thing with the valves is all the body panels and other stuff that needs to be removed to get to them. This is what drives the cost of even checking them way up, it is 90% labor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts