Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back last night from a long weekend up by the Canadian border. It was as dusty as it was fun! I wish I could've taken more pictures but here's a taste.

View of Mt. Katahdin from the turnpike on our way up.

The St. Agatha atv club is extremely well funded. A staggering amount of their trails are wide, smooth, and built up much like an actual road would be. We also came across two of these little clubhouses overlooking long lake, complete with cans for trash and bottles, plenty of chairs, a large trail map, and even a porta-john!

Second Lookout we found.

Sunset our first night.

Sunrise our first morning from the "cabin"

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Duuuuuuuuuuusty.

A staggering amount of dust makes it past the ridiculously poor friction fit filter setup. This is after 60-70 miles. I "greased" the donut end when we got back for the day with aquaphor.

Out towards the allagash the trails become actual trails again. No dust here, what a relief.

Reactions: Vincent and Madmax

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ft. Kent is a beautiful area. This is the St. John river, which acts as our border with Canada for a good distance.

I made art in it on my GPS.

I'm a simple man, I like simple humor lol.

Myself and not my child taking a break lol. Kid is a riot. All he wants to do is ride. If I had one I'd want one just like him.

That about sums it up. My crummy pictures and narrative don't do the area any justice.. its amazing. I suggest everyone gets there to try it out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH.. also found out 5-6 miles of WOT along an old rail bed is enough to make the temp light come on. Anyone know what temperature trips the light? And is it coolant temp or head temp? Makes me want to install a coolant temp guage just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Man oh Man is mother earth beautiful..breath taking country.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Cool little buddy!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cute kid and beautiful scenery.

Steve.........

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I am so jealous of some of you guys,man what scenery. All I have to look at is marsh land.Im surrounded on three sides by the river and marsh as far as you can see.It isn't the kind of mud you want to play in either,I mean you can and I have.Its salt water and theres some deep holes and if you get stuck you better get it out before the tide comes in.I cant imagine riding my machine in the mountains with the leaves changing,no people.I don't think I would come home..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rockies, upper Northeast, Canadian Rockies, Western US, Ozarks, Pacific northwest... every time I think that I've seen the most beautiful spot..I see another jaw dropper. The appreciation of the true ' Sanctuary " is what makes it so meaningful, and the people who are on this forum ' Get It' even if our politics differ the connection is still there. I'm 66 yrs 'young's today please raise a beer to the beauty around us tonight..I'll raise more than 1.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't want to come home.. thats for sure.

·
Grizzled Mod
340 Posts
Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah jeeze missed that part somehow, happy birthday red.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Here's to you...

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Good ole Saint John River. I was born and raised in New Brunswick, traveled to Houlton and Calis ME often to shop. Moved to Ontario about 11 years ago, but I take my bike back to New Brunswick ever summer (except this covid summer). I go on a few day trips while I'm home with of friends and a family member. Alot of the troops end up near the boarder, about 30 mins away actually. Your pics look so much like New Brunswick, it's scary. Lol
Brings back memories of home just looking at the pics. Thank you, it's hard not going back this year, and not seeing my mom who is in a nursing home.

You guys are hording all the water in the river there too. Lol down stream in NB, places where that River is normally 600+ft across, it's about 30 ft right now and only 3 or 4 ft deep. Major drought going on this year there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: fossil

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good ole Saint John River. I was born and raised in New Brunswick, traveled to Houlton and Calis ME often to shop. Moved to Ontario about 11 years ago, but I take my bike back to New Brunswick ever summer (except this covid summer). I go on a few day trips while I'm home with of friends and a family member. Alot of the troops end up near the boarder, about 30 mins away actually. Your pics look so much like New Brunswick, it's scary. Lol
Brings back memories of home just looking at the pics. Thank you, it's hard not going back this year, and not seeing my mom who is in a nursing home.

You guys are hording all the water in the river there too. Lol down stream in NB, places where that River is normally 600+ft across, it's about 30 ft right now and only 3 or 4 ft deep. Major drought going on this year there.

Home sickness is real, I feel you there. That corner of Maine is also in a stage/level/category 4 out of 5 drought right now. Its bad. All sorts of smaller streams and the usual wet spots are dry and have been dry for a lot of the year. I could of rode my machine right across the St. John without snorkels no problem.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Home sickness is real, I feel you there. That corner of Maine is also in a stage/level/category 4 out of 5 drought right now. Its bad. All sorts of smaller streams and the usual wet spots are dry and have been dry for a lot of the year. I could of rode my machine right across the St. John without snorkels no problem.
Oh, I know. My buddies send me pics asking if I know where it is.... It will be a huge Beach or gravel area where there would normally be 10ft+ deep water. It all looks so foreign to me now. One Lake was pretty big, only about 300ft across but we'll over a mile long, used to be awesome for trout fishing. I saw a pic of that Lake this summer it's 3 pools of water now, biggest one about 50 by 200 ft and they said it's barely 8ft deep. It was Brook fed, and that's completely dry.
I just can't get over how dry it is there. I know it's hurting NB forest industry, so I'm guess Maine will be feeling it there too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts