Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Just purchased a new 2017 Kodiak 700 yesterday!

I hope this hasn't been covered, looked couldn't find anything, but during de-acceleration the bike pops a lot. I am hopping this will clear bit when it gets worked in.

It pops the worst when downhill in low (engine braking) after climbing up an incline. It pops for 3 to 5 seconds going down the incline. I have about 75 kilometres (45miles).

Normal?

jim

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes it is all the 700"s do it. It's because they run so lean to meet emissions you also notice the extreme heat on the exhaust side on your leg some times same reason for that as well. Enjoy the the kodiak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2016 doesn't "pop" at all, ever. I know from experience with cars that ran short exhaust systems that the cold air meeting the hot exhaust from the engine would create a lot of popping. You will hear this popping at the dirt track races during deceleration of the cars. Maybe I just got a good one that doesn't run as lean. I dunno

·
Registered
129 Posts
The "pop" is caused by the burning of unburned fuel in the exhaust. That is the work of the AIS ( air induction system) installed on our Kodiaks. Basically it introduces fresh air in the exhaust gases to allow for the complete burning of the fuel.
There are threads and opinions about removing or just blocking the AIS and is fairly easy to do. It only has to do with less emission at the tail pipe and not with the performance of the machine. Some are arguing that the increased temperature in the exhaust is also helping the catalytic converter to burn all the carbon deposits that otherwise will get to clog it and require replacement.
I personally don't mind the few pops on deceleration that much and being that I enjoy the outdoors and fresh air I feel better knowing that I keep the pollution down0:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
Good to know I'm not damaging the Kodiak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts