Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am looking into purchasing a new Kodiak for plowing, some yard work and some probably very occasional trail riding. I wanted to buy a 700 for the extra power obviously but I am surprised/annoyed that the base model does not come with even a fuel gauge, nevermind a speedometer and a third headlight. I can get a 450 EPS SE for just about the same price as the base model 700 but I am concerned with the possible lack of power especially for plowing. I dont want to regret the purchase. Anyone plow with a 450? Will I miss the extra displacement?

Super Moderator
I plowed for years with a 2000 Kodiak 400 and had no problems, but then it will depend on what you are plowing. I have a 100' driveway and after doing that I would do 1/4 mile of sidewalk in my neighborhood. I plowed up to 16" of snow but that much snow takes it out of the machine, there just isn't enough weight to push that much. Perhaps if I chained it up it might of done a better job with the deep snow but I doubt it.

If you get a good price on the base model 700 there are aftermarket gauge pods that you can buy and put on. That is what I did, besides that I don't care for the cyclops headlight up high. As for the fuel gauge you have a low fuel light which works just fine as long as you are not 20 miles away from a fuel can.

Registered
Hey all. I am looking into purchasing a new Kodiak for plowing, some yard work and some probably very occasional trail riding. I wanted to buy a 700 for the extra power obviously but I am surprised/annoyed that the base model does not come with even a fuel gauge, nevermind a speedometer and a third headlight. I can get a 450 EPS SE for just about the same price as the base model 700 but I am concerned with the possible lack of power especially for plowing. I dont want to regret the purchase. Anyone plow with a 450? Will I miss the extra displacement?
Thousands of people have been plowing snow with 450 kodiaks for almost 20 years. I'm sure the new ones are as capable as any other.
Also powersteering and full gauges are really nice features. That said, I'd go for the 700 EPS and never look back!

Reactions: outbackandy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plowed for years with a 2000 Kodiak 400 and had no problems, but then it will depend on what you are plowing. I have a 100' driveway and after doing that I would do 1/4 mile of sidewalk in my neighborhood. I plowed up to 16" of snow but that much snow takes it out of the machine, there just isn't enough weight to push that much. Perhaps if I chained it up it might of done a better job with the deep snow but I doubt it.

If you get a good price on the base model 700 there are aftermarket gauge pods that you can buy and put on. That is what I did, besides that I don't care for the cyclops headlight up high. As for the fuel gauge you have a low fuel light which works just fine as long as you are not 20 miles away from a fuel can.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought about that, but ill probably end up spending $9,000 out the door with tax, plow, fees, etc. It really annoys me that I dont get a speedo for that. But I see what youre saying.

Thousands of people have been plowing snow with 450 kodiaks for almost 20 years. I'm sure the new ones are as capable as any other.
Also powersteering and full gauges are really nice features. That said, I'd go for the 700 EPS and never look back!
Ha! If money was no object I sure would! Im trying not to spend more than I have to as I already have enough expensive hobbies. Why cant I like doing anything cheap? Oh well. Im going to the dealer tomorrow. I wonder what the outcome will be.

Super Moderator
Just as a FYI here is a picture of my Trail Tech meter. It has a hour meter, trip odometer, and a regular odometer along with a speedometer. It also has a coolant temperature gauge and even a air temperature. All this for less than $140. I did do a custom mount with a piece of 2" angle iron that is mounted to the plastic bar cover. The speedometer uses a magnetic pickup that you mount to one of the front wheels through the brake shield plate.

Reactions: Primethious

Registered
Just as a FYI here is a picture of my Trail Tech meter. It has a hour meter, trip odometer, and a regular odometer along with a speedometer. It also has a coolant temperature gauge and even a air temperature. All this for less than $140. I did do a custom mount with a piece of 2" angle iron that is mounted to the plastic bar cover. The speedometer uses a magnetic pickup that you mount to one of the front wheels through the brake shield plate.

Cool!

Super Moderator
The Trail Tech Striker that I have is a pretty good meter. I have ran it for 2 years now and the only problem I have had with it was last February down in Arizona when I was in a downpour for a couple of days and water got inside of the glass face. I called Trail Tech and they sent me a new unit and all I had to do was to send them a picture of the moisture inside of it. I asked them how they wanted the old one shipped back and they said to keep it. So now I have two of them. One ready to go if the first one craps out, but it is working great and even this last deer hunt in Utah when I was in a downpour for a couple of days I never saw any evidence of moisture inside of it again.

Reactions: Primethious

Registered
I have a 700 and like others said it depends on conditions. The snow we got last week started as sleet/freezing rain then turned to snow. It took all my 700 had to plow off about 7"(two swipes keeping the plow lifted a little the first swipe).. but if its a light fluffy snow I can plow over a foot easy. I have a 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. Lots of plowing. I try to get out every 6" or so if theres a big storm..But like others say smaller quads have been plowing just fine for years. I have plowed with my dads Honda rancher(420cc i think) and it pushes snow just fine but for my situation with a long driveway I wanted the extra power..It is those wet heavy snows you will wish you had the extra oomph for..

Registered
I have a 450 EPS and a Warn 54鈥 plow with a front mount and I do a 60 yard long 3 car wide stone driveway with no problems. Got 6鈥 of snow last week and it handled it with no problems. You just have to know the machines limits and not bite off more than it can chew. It moved more snow with less effort than I thought it would. I put two 40 lb bags of wood pellets on the back to counter balance the plow weight and was good to go. Best of luck in whatever one you choose.

Registered
I plowed for years with a little ATC 250SX three wheeler.
The plow just needs to be smaller for a smaller rig.
If the snow got too wet or too deep I would just line the snow up using only half the plow width.
The plow I recently put on my 700 is a 60". I can't wait for the first snow to try it out!

Registered
Plowed for years with smaller ATVs . . . first a Honda TRX 300 and then a Honda Foreman 450S . . . no issues other than what others have said. Depends on the type of snow . . . with heavier snow or less power you may want to go out sooner rather than later to plow or take smaller swipes.

Registered
So, to the OP....what did you decide to buy?

BTW, I have plowed with my 700 base for 2+ seasons and it never let me down on stock tires and no other modifications. I don't know why a speedo or 3rd light would make a difference for a work-based machine. I added an hours meter to both our 700's just to keep track of service needs. I do plan to upgrade my tires soon but will use the stock rims.

Registered
Anyone know what winch I need that will work with a warn 80534 font plow mount on an 06 kodiak? I have a warn 25 ci and it's too wide. Thanks.

Registered
Thanks

So do the push tube flanges clear the motor end of the winch when the plow is fully raised or do they stay below it? Maybe I can modify the mount enough to make my existing winch work with it.

Registered
I have no issues in clearance whatsoever. I have a front mount plow.the warnwinches and superwinches have the same bolt pattern.

Registered
Hi, has anyone had any luck modifying a warn 80534 plow mount to fit an 06 kodiak with a warn 25 CI winch? Thanks.

Registered
Yeah Looking at the dimensions on both winches they're similar but the length of the motor is preventing the winch from going between the flange brackets. I can cut the flange bracket down enough to get the winch in and get everything bolted down but I'm concerned the plow wont raise up all the way without the winch motor being in the way. Thanks

Registered
Yeah Looking at the dimensions on both winches they're similar but the length of the motor is preventing the winch from going between the flange brackets. I can cut the flange bracket down enough to get the winch in and get everything bolted down but I'm concerned the plow wont raise up all the way without the winch motor being in the way. Thanks
I just realized you're talking about an older machine. Can't help on that one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts