Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone suggest for a plow setup? The easier to install the better. 2021 kodiak 700 is what I have.

Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
I went with the Warn Pro Vantage front mount setup.

The mount mounts up under the winch plate. Difficulty will depend on how much you like doing this type of work. On mine I had to notch the mounting plate to get the rack back on but others have sailed through with zero problems.

I did pick up a different pulley that mounts towards to plow blade to lessen the angle of the winch line.

Registered
I went with a KFI system with an under-belly mount on my 2021 Kodiak 700.
Is it the easiest ? It wasn't hard.
You mount the plate with four u-bolts on the frame and the plow arms mount to the plate with two pins.
I chose an under belly over a front mount because the weight of the snow is dispersed over a larger area than a front mount .
I drilled the plate that is designed to be what the winch line hook attaches to and mounted a snatch block to it.
The line goes from the winch, around the block and up to a strap on the front rack. This reduces the pull needed to raise the plow and increases lift, rather than pulling straight back to the winch.
I haven't needed to use it yet but it lifts the plow smoothly.
gunr

Registered
Definitely recommend a front mount plow and 54" is plenty. You'll lose no ground clearance with a front mount and front mount plows lift much higher than center mount plows. I have a factory Yamaha Tric plow which has a lot of similarities to a warn provantage. The Yamaha Plow is no longer available from what I am told . For that reason, I would look at the warn.

Super Moderator
What does everyone suggest for a plow setup? The easier to install the better. 2021 kodiak 700 is what I have.
One thing to consider is the type of snow you're going to be pushing the majority of the time if you're in an area that has a lot of wet heavy snow you might want to consider a midmount flow instead of a front mount just do the fact that it does put more the weight over the entire body of the bike instead of just the front suspension just makes it easier on your shocks and springs. It is much easier to install to mount and dismount a front mount plow. It will lift higher than a mid-mount. A front mount will usually be about a third of the cost more than a mid-mount plow on average but you can get some mid-mounts really cheap like $200 cheap. As far as width a 54-in will clear snow decent when straight but when you angle it will just barely clear your tires and you'll usually have a little bit of your windrow fall back in to your wheel path. A 60 in is ideal because you actually clear a really wide path when plowing straight but when you angle it throws your snow off to the side enough that it's not rolling back underneath your tires which makes for a quicker more efficient clearing without getting little pack down windrows from your tires. But you also have to remember that the wider you go the more weight you're actually pushing and lifting as you push up to your pile.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RandyRandy

Registered
I went with a KFI system with an under-belly mount on my 2021 Kodiak 700.
Is it the easiest ? It wasn't hard.
You mount the plate with four u-bolts on the frame and the plow arms mount to the plate with two pins.
I chose an under belly over a front mount because the weight of the snow is dispersed over a larger area than a front mount .
I drilled the plate that is designed to be what the winch line hook attaches to and mounted a snatch block to it.
The line goes from the winch, around the block and up to a strap on the front rack. This reduces the pull needed to raise the plow and increases lift, rather than pulling straight back to the winch.
I haven't needed to use it yet but it lifts the plow smoothly.
gunr
I went with the Warn Pro Vantage front mount setup.

The mount mounts up under the winch plate. Difficulty will depend on how much you like doing this type of work. On mine I had to notch the mounting plate to get the rack back on but others have sailed through with zero problems.

I did pick up a different pulley that mounts towards to plow blade to lessen the angle of the winch line.
What part number is your front mount I can't find one anywhere?

Super Moderator
Here is the kit that I got from Rocky Mountain ATV

I don't see a option for just the mount even on Warn's pages. You have to purchase the whole plow system.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the kit that I got from Rocky Mountain ATV

I don't see a option for just the mount even on Warn's pages. You have to purchase the whole plow system.
Thats kind of what I'm looking for, the whole system. It'll probably be for next year though, haven't needed one at all this winter yet.

Registered
I have a 2019 Kodiak 700 Power Steering that i've been plowing with since 2019. I got the front mount and regret it. Its too weak up front to mount a plow and it sure took its toll on my 700. I'm looking to converting to the belly mount which looks a lot stronger. Hopefully that will allow me to plow another few seasons with my 700. The front mount looks fancy shmancy but it does have its drawback in my opinion. I have the warn provantage 2500 winch and 54 inch warn plow blade. Man these Kodiak's sure can move some snow!!! Pretty impressive!!!

Super Moderator
What are the problems that you are having with the front mount plow?

I've had mine on for 5 years with zero problems.

Registered
What are the problems that you are having with the front mount plow?

I've had mine on for 5 years with zero problems.

I've had mine 5 yrs as well. I've pushed a lot of snow with it with zero issues.
I too have a front mount plow (6 years now) and use it a lot and push some deep heavy snow in Northwest Pennsylvania. I live near the #2 and #3 cities with the most snowfall un the USA. I have not had one issue or concern...in fact I would never even consider a belly mount plow.

I am very curious about the issues Patriot0331 has had including info on the make and installation.

Super Moderator
I will say one thing on the mid mount for a snowplow and that is that I will never have another one as long as there is a front mount offered.

If you are just using your Kodiak to plow snow and run around the farm then a mid mount may work for you. But I use my Kodiak up in the mountains on trails and found that you loose a bit of clearance with the mid mount plow, enough that if you are in rocky terrine you will be beating the mount to death. I had one on my 2000 Kodiak and had to rebuild it twice after encounters with rocks, and most parts for the mid mount plow are not available aftermarket. If you beat it enough you just have to purchase a new mount if you are unable to straighten out the bars and come up with new spacers.

Registered
I like the mid-mount,my opinion is it's the strongest of the mounts. It's not a problem connecting and disconnecting,I'm pretty lazy and I don't have a problem doing it. It only takes a second or two. The clearance isn't a problem since the Kodiak has twice the ground clearance of my old Honda..

Super Moderator
I will say one thing on the mid mount for a snowplow and that is that I will never have another one as long as there is a front mount offered.

If you are just using your Kodiak to plow snow and run around the farm then a mid mount may work for you. But I use my Kodiak up in the mountains on trails and found that you loose a bit of clearance with the mid mount plow, enough that if you are in rocky terrine you will be beating the mount to death. I had one on my 2000 Kodiak and had to rebuild it twice after encounters with rocks, and most parts for the mid mount plow are not available aftermarket. If you beat it enough you just have to purchase a new mount if you are unable to straighten out the bars and come up with new spacers.
Jim, could I ask a small favor of you? Any chance you could measure the distance between the back side of your blade where it attached to the push tube back to the vertical point where it attached to your front mount. And also the length of the push tube from blade to where it starts to curve up , then from that curve up to the mount .

I've got a brand new center mount plow just sitting, I'm tempted to buy a warn front mount for the Kodiak, then cut and modify the center mount tubes into a set to attach to the warn front mount. Make for a nice little weekend project in my buddies warm garage on these cold winter days.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
I'll get you those measurements this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts