Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my iPhone and Mac the photos I take are sometimes in landscape format and are auto-rotated by the software. Once they get here though, they are pictured sideways. Since this forum isn't the only place I am posting them, I do not want to change the orientation. I looked for a way to rotate either on the page on my Mac or on Tapatalk, but there's no such option right? Just wanted to check in case someone knew a trick. Also the drag to attach doesn't work on the Mac.

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
The only way that I know of doing it is to have the pictures on a computer. If they are in the wrong orientation you need to correct them and save them onto the computer and then use that picture.

I'm not sure on a Mac but on a Windows based PC you can use Paint to open them and to rotate them to the way that you want to have them show.

Do a search on "rotating pictures on a mac" and you will get quite a few links to how to do it.

You can do the same search on Taptalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know how to do all that in Photoshop, just don't want to have to do that all the time for one forum. Time is already my nemesis, trying not to add any more steps to the process.

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
Then what you need to do is to just take the pictures where they will come out straight.

·
Administrator
171 Posts
it's a common issue with pictures taken from phones. For some reason the EXIF data does not transfer right when you upload the image, so you'll need to rotate it first.

Lee

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, not going to rotate them to an incorrect position just for one forum. All the others I am on [11 of them] have the coding they need to show the photos correctly. Since I am posting photos on other sites, the orientation I use will not change. Guess you will have to rotate your phones and laptops to see them correctly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I posted a few pics a while back. That were upside down. I guess if this is your 11th forum...it may not be worth it lol

·
Administrator
171 Posts
This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.

Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your phone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your phone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here).

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).

Hope that helps!

Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if it's the same here but...
I belong to an airgun forum. When this happens and embedded pics appear sideway, once the pic is 'clicked on' it comes up correctly oriented.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
avator46 ....I'll try that....thanks.

Thanks Ed for the info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kodiakadmin, thank you. Very helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the last pic of the Kodiak in landscape mode and it came out the right way just now when I posted it. Now to remember to take all photos of it in the same mode. Thanks for the fix, much easier than having separate files of sideways pics on my hard drive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts