Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 2016 yamaha kodiak 700 that I got from LCC Powersports in liberty Mo I have been having issues lately with it over heating and so I went out and got some anti freeze and topped off the coolant reservoir to the top just I'm case it took what seemed like a little bit I ran it for a little bit giving it some gas then **** it off,today I took it for a ride all was fine then after about 30 mins or so it overheated it got really hot antifreeze started leaking out all over any ideas what I might need to do to srop.it from overheating warranty is past gone so anything work wise will be out of pocket and I am a disabled army vet that is in advance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you fill the reservoir up all the way to the top when the fluid gets hot and expands it will leak out. Just take it up to the max line.
I second checking the radiator and fan and add that you can change the thermostat as a cheap measure.
See if the radiator has been repaired and is soldered up on a vein or two. You may need a new radiator if there was damage repair.
Does the fan turn on as the bike gets hot..if not then that needs to be addressed.
Check your oil and make sure it's not brown and foamy...if so then you could have a head gasket issue where water is getting into the oil.
Check you radiator fluid and see if oil is floating in it.
Another thought...does the bike have a loud muffler on it. It may be lean and need a fuel tuner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would be nice if they offered a lower temperature thermostat. The fan comes on on mine at about 207 deg F and pulls the rad temp down quickly but it's back on in a few minutes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It would be nice if they offered a lower temperature thermostat. The fan comes on on mine at about 207 deg F and pulls the rad temp down quickly but it's back on in a few minutes.
The best temp thermostat for any given motor is the one that came in it from the factory. Our fans come on AT operating temp, which is where a motor will make the most power and be most efficient. This is why the fan is on-off-on-off all day long.. to give us the best experience possible.

Cooler temp thermostats are nothing but marketing snake-oil at worst, and a band-aid at best.

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
It's doing exactly what it is supposed to. It's keeping your engine in the operating temperature range, abs not allowing it to overheat. Why would you want it to never reach operating temp?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
It has nothing to do with me not wanting to have the engine reach operating temperature.
The temperature should be controlled by the thermostat not the fan. The fan should come on in unusual operating conditions.
Tell about me another vehicle that has a fan that cuts in as often as the 700 Yamaha.

·
Super Moderator
1,717 Posts
The fan is controlled by the coolant temperature and it is working just as it was designed to work.

Every vehicle out there with electric fans do the same thing. Once it hits a preset temperature the fans will come on and then shut off once it hits the lower limit.

Older vehicles the fan ran whenever the engine was on, then they came out with fans that had a clutch on them that only ran full force when the coolant was hot, now it is the electric fans.

Back to the OP, a lot figure that the Kodiak 700 is overheating because of the heat that they feel coming off from the engine since there isn't a temperature gauge on a stock machine other than the light that comes on at a preset temperature.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeah... fans for everything come on all the time. They come on at operating temp, and generally shut off once temp has dropped 20-30 degrees.

If you want the temperature to be controlled by the thermostat and not have the fan come on until its way too hot your going to need to install a GIANT radiator somewhere lol.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
It has nothing to do with me not wanting to have the engine reach operating temperature.
The temperature should be controlled by the thermostat not the fan. The fan should come on in unusual operating conditions.
Tell about me another vehicle that has a fan that cuts in as often as the 700 Yamaha.
It is controlled by the thermostat. When the Coolant reached its designated temp, the thermostat pops open allowing coolant to circulate over the temp sensor which creats an electrical signal telling the fan to turn on, passing air over the rad inturn cooling the coolant down to the lower threshold the metal in the thermostat cools and pops back closed, abs the cycle starts all over again. Every liquid cooled vehicle is the same way. The bigger the engine, the largere the gap in the operating temperature range usually. Most of the time in a vehicle, you don't hear the electric fan run, so you don't notice how much it cycles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts