Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in April i bought a 2017 Kodiak 700. About 15 min of riding after i got it home, the temp light came on. I cut it off and let it cool down and went on about my business. Every time i tode it afterwards, it overheated every 15-20 minutes. It gets so hot that i can hear the coolant boiling. Now as soon as it starts up it only takes about 5 min for it to be scolding hot. Whenever it hits whatever it wants to cut off. My fan runs fine. Im thinking maybe thermostat?

Super Moderator
There have been a couple on here that have had low coolant levels in the radiator and once they have them filled with coolant everything seams to be OK.

To get to the radiator you need to take the front rack off along with the plastic cover.

If that isn't it I would take it back to the dealer.

Registered
Back in April i bought a 2017 Kodiak 700. About 15 min of riding after i got it home, the temp light came on. I cut it off and let it cool down and went on about my business. Every time i tode it afterwards, it overheated every 15-20 minutes. It gets so hot that i can hear the coolant boiling. Now as soon as it starts up it only takes about 5 min for it to be scolding hot. Whenever it hits whatever it wants to cut off. My fan runs fine. Im thinking maybe thermostat?
Just as JimP suggested, check your coolant level first.If it's low fill it up and maybe bleed the air out It's all in the owners manual and not hard at all to do. Changing the coolant and bleeding the air out of the system is detailed in the manual. That means is regular maintenance and the owner should check it before riding out.
If all this looks good to you then there is a different issue and the dealer should take care of it under warranty. Do not run it like that overheating it as you could do a lot of damage to a new motor and the warranty would not cover it if you ran it with no or low coolant.
Good luck! and when you take care of it let us know what did you find.

Registered
Check the reservoir cap! I had the same problem about six weeks ago and found that the reservoir cap came off. All the coolant splashed out. Refilled the radiator and it was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts