Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out on a group ride with my 700. No issues at all. We came across a small pond/large puddle and played around in it for a bit. Nothing much higher than my tires. When getting back on the trails I noticed my temp was much lower than the normal 200ish temp. It was down in the 140-160 range. It stayed like that for miles then crept back up to the “normal” range. Ran fine the entire time.
fast forward two weeks, head out for another ride. Fired up machine, let warm up and hit the trails. It stayed in the 160 range again for several miles, then out of nowhere went up to the “normal” range.
any ideas what might be happening? Thank!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
It might not be that unusual, the water likely cooled it down, so that answers that I think. The only issue I can think of that might do what your is not, is low coolant. The sensor detecting your heat level might not be getting coolant exposure until it is warmer. Is your fan coming on, I assume not? Is it possible your fan is staying on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the water may have cooled it down as well. But I literally drove miles after that.
fan comes on around 200 or slightly above and works normally.

·
Registered
523 Posts
After the water were the trails flat / straight ? If you were going pretty fast with out a lot of load on the engine the cooling from the air would do it .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the water were the trails flat / straight ? If you were going pretty fast with out a lot of load on the engine the cooling from the air would do it .
Just normal cruising nothing abnormal from my normal riding hills and sand. No matter how fast I’ve gone in the past it’s never dropped that low for that long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could be a sticking thermostat, when you park it’s open if it sticks while cooling. It will stay that way,so when it’s restarted (still open. ) It will take awhile with the thermostat open even slightly ,for the engine to reach temp. Sounds like it’s opening but not closing all the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought the water may have cooled it down as well. But I literally drove miles after that.
fan comes on around 200 or slightly above and works normally.
That's completely normal. That's called evaporative cooling. So even though u weren't in the water the remaining water that was on the radiator was evaporating essentially "pulling" the heat from the radiator and your coolant making it run at a cooler temp for longer than normal. You wouldn't see your temp go back to normal readings untill almost all the water was evaporated off the radiator which takes alot longer than you would think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts