Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the oil plug/dipstick popped off while riding yesterday..i noticed smoke coming from my engine area but couldnt tell if it was from oil splashing out and touching the hot engine making the smoke or if I did some major damage. I know some people had issues with the dipstick popping off in the past..the smoking stopped and soon as i got it home and shut it off..i went back out a couple hours later and it fired right up with no check engine light..is there a way to tell if i did any major damage??

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
How much oil did you loose? If you lost something like a 1/2 quart or less , I doubt it damaged anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hard to tell how much i lost since the dipstick is missing..Im hoping to order a new plug/dipstick and check it then

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Check the crank case vent tube that goes up to the air filter box.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If that vent is blocked, it could have pressurized your crankcase and blown out your deep stick

Reactions: Tirill

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is an issue I've never heard of.
Sounds like it'd be a good idea to zip tie that sucker to something so you don't loose it again.

Any chance that it was never installed after an oil change?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i definitely re-installed it after an oil change..i think it just rattled loose after some bouncy riding..i noticed this issue was brought up on grizzley central a couple times.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
.i noticed this issue was brought up on grizzley central a couple times.
Yup, one of our member fried the engine on his brand new 2018 grizzly because of his dip stick popped out! Dirty water got into his crankcase.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Holy cow, I was just wondering about that the other day, Ill be doing some zip tie action just incase!!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
You mean the replacements are threaded? Or the new 2020 Kodiak's come with threaded dip sticks? If
the Replacements are threaded how would that work in a non-threaded tube?

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Is the new one actually threaded or have the raised ridges like the one in the above picture?

Also if it is threaded there are no threads in the pipe. All that is there is a ridge.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Since I've read three threads about dip sticks popping thus fare ( one guy drove threw a swamp and blew up his brand new motor), mine in now secured with tie raps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the replacements have the raised ridges--they defintely will not pop out like the old style--it takes quite a bit of effort to pull it off

1 - 16 of 16 Posts