Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - New to the forum, just picked up my carryover 2018 700 EPS SE. I picked it up in a snow storm 200 miles from home and didn’t have time to inspect it closely. After getting it home I find it has 17.9 hours and 31 miles on od. Dealer wrote 0 miles on paperwork. I understand some lot miles on a unit that been around for 7-8 months will accrue. Here comes the problem - check engine oil today and it’s completely milky - not just a little residue - but completely milkshaked like Ive seen in my jet boat after a head gasket went. What do you think? Just condensation from too many starts and no warm up on the lot? Or a bigger problem? I’m concerned break in is not possible and that longevity could be severely impacted. If dealer was across town, I’d be loading it up. But because of the distance, I’d prefer not to. I like the machine and would like it to work out. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know it sucks having to drive that far again but if it's that milkshakey I'd take it back to have them look at it. For what these things cost having milkshake oil don't work for me.

Did you get extended warranty?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I’m concerned they’ll just change the oil and say “it’s fine”. If that’s the case I can do that myself and save 400 miles, but I don’t have any good way to determine if any internals have been harmed. I’m considering having them provide the extended warranty as insurance.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Good luck on them providing anything other than perhaps a oil change.

Look at the coolant level in the recovery jug and see if it is down, if it is then perhaps pull the front rack and cover off and check the radiator to see if it is low. This will give you some idea if it is a big or small problem. There should not be enough condensation in the motor to get the oil to turn into a milk shake it has to be coming from somewhere else and unless you live in Seattle or up in BC where there is a lot of rain it shouldn't be that bad.

After checking the coolant levels the first thing that I would do would be to call the salesman that sold it to you. If he won't talk get the dealers manager or owner on the phone. Talk respectful and don't be pointing fingers yet. Tell them what you found and ask what they suggest you do.

I believe that all these machines come with a 6 month warranty from Yamaha so you have some time to decided what is going on but don't hesitate. If you want to change the oil and run it for a while and see what happens. I would even pull a sample of the oil that is drained out and send it into Blackstone Labs and get it analyzed to see if it is coolant or just water in it along with whatever else is suspended in the oil. The sample kits are free and I believe that they only charge around $30 for the test. They will get back to you in a email fairly quickly.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?session-id=nar2upe34jlo1a45bisjj1ro&timeout=20&bslauth&urlbase=https://www.blackstone-labs.net/Bstone/(S(nar2upe34jlo1a45bisjj1ro))/

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
627 Posts
Here’s what I’ve got. I’m in Montana, so not excessive rainfall. Does the almost 18 hours make sense to anyone for lot miles? I hate to be suspicious, but I wonder if they let someone take it on the trail and crossed too much water?
Man, I would hightail it back and demand my money back. That isn't just condensation imho. Yes 18 hrs seems high for something that never left the lot.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I have never seen oil look that bad.

I would not only take it back to that dealer I would go elsewhere to purchase another one.

And if they don't give you your money back get Yamaha corporate involved.

Reactions: Buckmaster

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw on some other sites folks talking about this happening after plowing, especially in light, swirling snow. I did go for a mile drive in axle deep fluffy snow when I got it home - just cruising nothing fast- but the light snow was kicking up. I regretfully did not check the oil when I got it from the dealership so I can’t say for certain whether it came this way or my snow ride did it. I’ve never had an ATV do this from snow before however

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
You are going to have to have snow getting into the intake and a lot of it to turn the oil that milky.

If you want to take your chances, change the oil and run it to see what happens to the new oil.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's not from snow by any stretch. Even if one was to suspect condensation ( which I just can't see with that much moisture), there is more than enough water in that oil to do considerable damage. You'd be crazy not to bring that back and throw the keys at the salesman imho. I wouldn't buy squat from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the feedback and advice - looks like dealership is going to take it back with no arguments.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Sounds good.

Did they offer you another one or did they just say to bring it back for a refund?

I would be leery if they offered you another one but if the sweeten the pie a little I might consider it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just chiming in because your situation really sucks... I bought my 18 last feb and this summer buried it in water holes twice to the point i had to winch out.. And also plowed this winter many times and the oil is and was always fine !! It looks like the dealer is responsible for this. On the other hand how can a dealer let something like that out the door.. I don’t even have a good suggestion for you i just wanted to share my experience and hope that helps you in however you proceed with this.. Good Luck !!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here’s where we’re at today - dealer digs up this tech bulletin sends it to me and says “see, this is normal, nothing to be concerned about”. You’ll see in the bulletin there is plenty to be concerned about - especially the final sentence. I’ve never seen an engine produce this much condensation.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
So here’s where we’re at today - dealer digs up this tech bulletin sends it to me and says “see, this is normal, nothing to be concerned about”. You’ll see in the bulletin there is plenty to be concerned about - especially the final sentence. I’ve never seen an engine produce this much condensation.
The dealer is full of it. That isn't just a little condensation. There is so much water in that oil that it has become an oil/water emulsion. I would contact Yamaha if the dealer won't take it back.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Save that old oil for proof. Also it almost looks antifreeze green tint! So sad when a person buys a respected product and ends up with this kind of issue.

I hate to put this in print, but I test this type of thing by taste, if it is sweet, it is coolant causing the milky look. Spit out the test oil, you can tell with the tip of your tongue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
1. Return the machine to the dealer. Leave it in front of their door and give them all the books and keys.

2. Write a letter detailing the oil problem AND the fact that the machine has 17 hours on it but they listed it as 0.
Demand in the letter a full refund within 5 business days.

3. If on day 5 your refund has not arrived contact a lawyer and have him/her send them another demand letter.

4. If after the lawyer's letter you still aren't refunded your $ then have your lawyer send Yamaha a registered letter detailing everything.

My thoughts are that you'll get your check after step 2 or maybe 3 at the latest.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you are going to do that, discuss the fee for the lawyer up front, this could be expensive. You can do a bunch on your own, and calmly tell them that you intend to hire a lawyer to pursue this wrongful issue. Tell them that you have listed this on on one of the main forums, and your have many people following this.

Yamaha should push harder to clean up the garbage selling their products. Keep appealing to whoever will listen, but think twice about building a big legal bill with a lawyer, you will always have that option.

Did that oil taste sweet? If it did, that the worst news!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts