Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Kodiak 400, Lots of power, but, it is overheating and there oil getting into the water. I found the fan motor was froze up. I can handle that. The oil in the water, is what I need some tips on. Head Gasket? Will stop leak seal a head gasket? Is there a possibility, that if I fix the heating issue, the oil will quit getting in the oil? Thought the heat causing expansion of the head, may be causing it. Thanks!

Super Moderator
Usually when there is a bad head gasket it is water getting into the oil and stop leak won't help it if it is a blown head gasket.

As for what it could be there are a number of different things that can cause it and all the fixes require you to pull the engine. But be prepared for a lot of money going back into it for a new piston, rings and even possibly a cylinder jug. You would be better off trying to find a good used engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
My water is not getting into the oil. It is oil getting into the water. I don't see anything being wrong with piston/jug, etc, because the unit runs too good and has too much power. Let me define that, there is something dirty in the carburetor, because it does not idle real good, without partial choke, but once you apply throttle, it is fine, smooth and powerful. The 4 wheeler has been sitting up in a garage, and has not run is probably close to a year. The gas was putrid. I drained in and added new gas with SeaFoam.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
A friend gave me the first idea that makes any sense. He said the seal on the engine maybe have gone out, and the oil is getting in through the mechanical seal of the water pump. Has this happened to anyone?

Registered
How much water are you talking about? Has this happened more than once? Could it be condensation? Your carb needs cleaning, likely more that sea foam can do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
It had the oil in the water, when I got it. Quite a bit of oil. Oil in crankcase is clean. The atv runs on high speed great. Have to have the choke partially closed, at an idle. I'm hoping the seafoam will do the carburetor. Going to try to clean up the cooling system with Dawn and water, before I do anything. Someone may have tried to add oil to the overflow tank, for all I know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts