Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found oil laying in my air cleaner box, about a 1/2 inch in the lower part of the box. It's been running fine. I was wondering what would cause this to happen. appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
Just clean it up and then watch your oil level or check the intake box before you ride it.

With a new engine it quite possibly is just from over oiling the filter, but you never know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Jim The oil I found in bottom was blue in color so I know it is not motor oil. im sure it was them putting to much on filter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas, I think I put too much oil in the motor the last time I changed it

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
I looked at mine yesterday and with buying it used you would of thought that either the previous owner or dealer would of checked it out but they didn't. There was about 2 tablespoons of what appeared to be gear lube. Granted it was cool here around 20 degrees but if it was actual oil you would think that it would be a lot thinner. But the stuff that I cleaned out of the housing was like what I would use to grease the bearings with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked at mine yesterday and with buying it used you would of thought that either the previous owner or dealer would of checked it out but they didn't. There was about 2 tablespoons of what appeared to be gear lube. Granted it was cool here around 20 degrees but if it was actual oil you would think that it would be a lot thinner. But the stuff that I cleaned out of the housing was like what I would use to grease the bearings with.
I read a couple of posts that folks are using a thicker grease to help seal the airbox. I would assume that is what you are seeing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I opened mine tonight for the first time, what a mess i better there was 100ml of oil in there. Looked like two stroke mixing oil to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Factory seems to be over oiling the filters, EHS Racing will be coming out with a kit to modify the airbox and use a unifilter with hose clamp instead of the flawed oem design.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rinsed my filter out to get the engine oil and excess filter oil out of it. The dirt came out but there was still a good bit of oil left in the filter after it was rinsed. Covered my hands twice with oil and rubbed it in, wasn't sure how much you should actually put on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
On a foam filter you want a good bit of oil on them. I usually put quite a bit on them and then stand them on their end on a piece of cardboard and let them drain for a day before I put them back on. That way if there is any excess oil it will make its way off of the foam filter.

Reactions: Link
1 - 13 of 13 Posts