Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the evening changing out my oils for the first time on my new(ish) Kodiak. 2nd service, with the 1st having been done at the dealer.
Thought I’d share a quick little trick to get that stubborn oil filter off with a homemade wrench. I’d like to get the credit for this but I’m sure someone out there has made something similar.
Photograph Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle fork

As you can see it’s as simple as cutting a piece off your old waist belt. Make sure you measure it against your new filter so it fits, but tight. Drill holes through both ends and stick a screwdriver through it for the leverage. Worked great for me!

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
I spent the evening changing out my oils for the first time on my new(ish) Kodiak. 2nd service, with the 1st having been done at the dealer.
Thought I’d share a quick little trick to get that stubborn oil filter off with a homemade wrench. I’d like to get the credit for this but I’m sure someone out there has made something similar.
View attachment 11038
As you can see it’s as simple as cutting a piece off your old waist belt. Make sure you measure it against your new filter so it fits, but tight. Drill holes through both ends and stick a screwdriver through it for the leverage. Worked great for me!
That's very similar to my strap wrench, they work great. Unfortunately when I did the first service on my Kodiak, I had to use locking channel locking pliers and literally crush the sides of the filter for enough grip to finally break the filter free.
Not really sure why Yamaha assembly guys at the factory seem to think they need to use invisible loctite on filter threads and torque to 10k ft-lbs lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tech97elec

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's very similar to my strap wrench, they work great. Unfortunately when I did the first service on my Kodiak, I had to use locking channel locking pliers and literally crush the sides of the filter for enough grip to finally break the filter free.
Not really sure why Yamaha assembly guys at the factory seem to think they need to use invisible loctite on filter threads and torque to 10k ft-lbs lol

How very true. Changed a "lot" of filters in my day and could never understand why people just can't grasp " tighten 3/4 turn after gasket contact". Whenever possible I tighten filters by hand so I can remove them the same way.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
How very true. Changed a "lot" of filters in my day and could never understand why people just can't grasp " tighten 3/4 turn after gasket contact". Whenever possible I tighten filters by hand so I can remove them the same way.
Same here, never an issue getting my filters off. Never leak or listen either. I can say, in change alot of filters on everthin from lawn mowers to heavy equipment, never see a filter as tight as my factory filter on the Kodiak

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thats a great idea! I like some creative thinking.

Sadly I end up just jabbing the filter with the screwdriver and fighting it until it loosens. Haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts