Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Oil Drain Crush Washer

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JimP 
#1 ·
I did my second oil change this weekend at 419 miles, and now I have a small puddle of clear oil under the machine.
I had reused the crush washer and torqued the drain bolt to 16 ft lbs - 192 in lbs.
The local Yamaha dealer (an hour away) didn't have a replacement crush washer so I hoped it would hold.
Have any of you guys used a copper washer on these machines instead of the crushed unit?
Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

#2 ·
Just about any auto parts store should have one that will work.

The last time that I got some from a dealer I picked up enough to do quite a few changes along with the ones for the front and rear diffs.

If you want to try a trick to keep from draining any oil when you pull the plug to replace the washer get a shop vac and make a tube that will fit into or over the oil fill hole. Or have someone help you. Then turn the vacuum on before you pull the plug. The positive vacuum that is created should keep the oil from flowing out. You may loose a bit but not much.

#5 ·
It wouldn't be any problem, just a envelope and a stamp. If you like you could even return one once you get to your dealer.

Like I said, I usually buy these kind of things in bulk. I have one dealer 30 miles away but they are usually out of whatever I need and then the next one is another 100 miles.

The offer stands if you need it...

#14 ·
It wouldn't be any problem, just a envelope and a stamp. If you like you could even return one once you get to your dealer.

Like I said, I usually buy these kind of things in bulk. I have one dealer 30 miles away but they are usually out of whatever I need and then the next one is another 100 miles.

The offer stands if you need it...
I'm about to change oil in my 2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 eps/se....I bought a filter and oil, but no drain gasket. Can I reuse my old one, or do I need to buy a new one - is so - is a there a spec number or size? Thanks. Bill - Union City, MI. bcourl@yahoo.com

#7 ·
You can get a good assortment from HF cheap enough.

#9 ·
You just jinxed yourself. You better pick up a couple the next time you are at the dealer for good luck.

I figure since I have a few of them in my tool cabinet that I'll never have one fail.

Reactions: rancherMike
#10 ·
In all the vehicles I've had in my life, several have had crush washers, mostly copper, one had a urethane washer. I've never replaced any except a couple times on the urethane one, as it would stuck to the pan and rip as you removed drain bolt. I just always clean the mating surfaces really well, and snug the drain bolt in there. Have never had a leak thankfully. I've never torqued a drain plug in my life either.
I'm sure I've over tightened a few plus too... That built in torque wrench in my arm isn't as accurate after 4 or 5 wobbly pops at 5.5%. lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I changed the oil on our 2016 Kodiaks once without replacing the crush washers, then i ordered some online and replaced them with each of the following oil changes. I don't torque the bolt either, i probably overtighten it like everything else! I do need to order the copper washers for the diff oil drain plugs, i reused them once already.

#16 ·
I'd just reuse the old one.

I know of vehicles that are quite old and still using the same washer.

However I would pick up a few of them if you like changing them. You can also just go down to a automotive parts store with the old one and get one that will fit.