Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been using semi synthetic tractor transmission fluid in the final drive and synthetic 75w90 gl-5 fluid in the front. It is my understanding you can use the synthetic gl-5 in the rear as well. I just use the tractor fluid because I got gifted 2 gallons.
I personally wouldn't use tractor oil in the rear diff, the Viscosity usually in the 20w to 30w range. Fine for the huge gears in a tractor, not thick enough for our small ring and pinion.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I personally wouldn't use tractor oil in the rear diff, the Viscosity usually in the 20w to 30w range. Fine for the huge gears in a tractor, not thick enough for our small ring and pinion.
He stated right in his comment that it's 75w90 gl5 fluid, so that would work fine for the diffs on these bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
For the price of 2 of those kits I can do 7 oil changes with wix filters and shell rotella t6 oil.
Better oil, and far better filter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For the price of 2 of those kits I can do 7 oil changes with wix filters and shell rotella t6 oil.
Better oil, and far better filter.

Thank you for the kind reply.
I'd be happy to save some money.

I use the Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil, 5W-40 in my Ram Cummins diesel.

Which Rotella T6 do you use in your atv?

Could you please share the part number of the Wix filter you use? Maybe I can get it locally.

What do you do for the oil drain plug washer the Yamaha kit provides?

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I'm just going to switch over to the Shell Rotella the next oil change so I haven't really looked at it as for what weight I am going to run but I'm looking at their 5w-40

The Wix oil filter number is 57040

The drain washer should be able to be sourced at a auto parts store, just take in a old one and have them match it. Or when you are near a dealer pick up 2 or 3 years worth of them. If you order them online the shipping will kill you.. But if you can find it online for a good price then buy it. The Yamaha part number is

2MB-E1198-00-00

But don't forget the washers for the front and rear diffs and their fill holes. I picked up 5 of each a few years ago at the dealer.

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Thank you for the kind reply.
I'd be happy to save some money.

I use the Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil, 5W-40 in my Ram Cummins diesel.

Which Rotella T6 do you use in your atv?

Could you please share the part number of the Wix filter you use? Maybe I can get it locally.

What do you do for the oil drain plug washer the Yamaha kit provides?
Same oil you are using in your ram is what i use in both my ram and my kodiak.
Wix 57040 is direct oem replacement
Wix 51365xp is what i run, it's slightly longer has a higher flow rate & burst pressure.
Either filter will work. The xp is just a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm just going to switch over to the Shell Rotella the next oil change so I haven't really looked at it as for what weight I am going to run but I'm looking at their 5w-40

The Wix oil filter number is 57040

The drain washer should be able to be sourced at a auto parts store, just take in a old one and have them match it. Or when you are near a dealer pick up 2 or 3 years worth of them. If you order them online the shipping will kill you.. But if you can find it online for a good price then buy it. The Yamaha part number is

2MB-E1198-00-00

But don't forget the washers for the front and rear diffs and their fill holes. I picked up 5 of each a few years ago at the dealer.
Thank you Jim.

Do you know if the washers for the front and rear diffs are the same part numbers as the eingine drain plug washer?

I dont know about its application for the atv however, I am very happy with the Rotella T6, 5w 40 and its supporting temps range and its use in our 6.7 Ram Cummins.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is it bad practice to drain the oil from the plug that has the strainer?

I just changed my oil, and it was time for the strainer to be cleaned.. so i just dumped it from there.

That plug doesn't need a crush washer as its o-ringed.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Thank you Jim.

Do you know if the washers for the front and rear diffs are the same part numbers as the eingine drain plug washer?

I dont know about its application for the atv however, I am very happy with the Rotella T6, 5w 40 and its supporting temps range and its use in our 6.7 Ram Cummins.
Here are all the part number for the gaskets for the front, rear diffs, and the engine oil drain.

Oil drain gasket:
2MB-E1198-00-00

Front diff drain gasket:
90430-10003-00
Front diff fill gasket:
214-11198-01-00

Rear diff drain gasket x2:
214-11198-01-00
Rear diff fill gasket:
214-11198-01-00
Rear diff check bolt gasket:
90201-08087-00

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here are all the part number for the gaskets for the front, rear diffs, and the engine oil drain.

Oil drain gasket:
2MB-E1198-00-00

Front diff drain gasket:
90430-10003-00
Front diff fill gasket:
214-11198-01-00

Rear diff drain gasket x2:
214-11198-01-00
Rear diff fill gasket:
214-11198-01-00
Rear diff check bolt gasket:
90201-08087-00
Thank ya kindly Jim!

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Fyi, you actually don't need to replace the gaskets everytime like they tell you in the manual. That's a money grab. Use common sense, look at it. A crush washer is usually good for 3 or 4 uses provided the drain plug wasn't over tightened.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fyi, you actually don't need to replace the gaskets everytime like they tell you in the manual. That's a money grab. Use common sense, look at it. A crush washer is usually good for 3 or 4 uses provided the drain plug wasn't over tightened.

Thank you very much. I did not know that. I have been replacing the crush washer every oil change.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
I've had crush washers last the life of the vehicle before I read that you are supposed to replace them.

But it is nice to have a replacement on hand as a just in case type scenario

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Thank you very much. I did not know that. I have been replacing them every oil change.
It's the same with vehicles that have them. Absolutely no sense tossing a crush washer in the trash when it's still got some life in it, that's just a waste. I I just keep a couple as spares incase one finally breaks our just looks too rough.
They will last a long time if the surfaces are all clean and you don't over tighten.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I've had crush washers last the life of the vehicle before I read that you are supposed to replace them.

But it is nice to have a replacement on hand as a just in case type scenario

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Save here jim, I've had trucks that they were never replaced on, but the manual said to do it every time. Lol

·
Registered
926 Posts

This is correct. Crush washers are indeed reusable many times over.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
This is correct. Crush washers are indeed reusable many times over.
Ssshhhhhh.... Yamaha doesn't want that info let it in the open....

21 - 40 of 48 Posts