Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil and filter for the first time and the manual says 2.2 q but I needed to put 2.7 Has anyone run into the same thing?

·
Registered
627 Posts
There is a recall effecting some kodiaks concerning wrong dipstick.you have to get the dealer to run your serial number . Mine was not affected.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There is a recall on the 16's for the wrong did stick. Doesn't effect all kodiaks. You need to check your v.i.n with the dealer. Mine was ok.

Edit: second time I tried posting a response. Lately , most of my posts don't make the board for whatever reason.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just changed my oil and filter for the first time and the manual says 2.2 q but I needed to put 2.7 Has anyone run into the same thing?
Same here, I used oil out of a gallon jug but I noticed is closer to 3 quarts than to 2 quarts.

It appears that Yamaha made a mistake in the manual . The European version of the manual calls for 2.6 liters of oil that equates to 2.7... us quarts.
As a general rule use the dipstick for correct oil level not just measure how much oil you pour in there. Make sure you're at the top of the safe zone. Check it before each ride, it only takes a minute.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rollin, Thats exactly what I did, I filled it to the top of the safe zone. I noticed that someone on the Grizzly forum had the same question and a few guys said they also needed to add close to 3 quarts and some guys said they only needed to add 2.2 quarts. Seems weird??

·
Registered
627 Posts
Some of the Kodiaks have a recall for the wrong dipstick. Check your vin with the dealer. You may be over filling the crankcase.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, the way the dipstick is slanted and with very clean oil I can see where it's kinda hard to read an exact level. I don't know how other people are reading the oil level but after an oil+filter change I run the engine for a minute and then let it sit for at least 15 min before I check it. Half a quart can be the difference between filling the new oil filter and oil level sitting at the bottom of the safe zone ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Gonna make my fifth attempt at replying to this thread. The other 4 never saw the board , for what ever reason. There is a recall on some 2016 kodiaks because they have the wrong dipstick. Check your vin at the dealer. Mine was not affected.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There is a recall on some 2016's for the wrong dipstick. Have your vin checked at the dealer. Mine was not affected.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There is a recall on some 2016's for the wrong dipstick. Get the dealer to check your vin. Mine was not affected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts