Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to Yamaha Kodiak and this forum. I just bought a new 2019 Kodiak 450 EPS. Seems to run nicely but I ran into a glitch that caused me great angst fir a few minutes. I was parked on an old logging trail a long way from help. Transmission was in PARK and when I pushed the start button absolutely nothing! I let out a verbal Oh @#$% thinking I was stranded with no immediate help. Then I put it in neutral and it fired right up. Seemed to work well again for 4-5 starts then all of a sudden it would not start in PARK again. Failed to start in PARK maybe 3 times out of 15. Any ideas? Transmission must not be fully engaging? THX

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I am not sure on the 450 but I am going to presume that it has the same system as the 700 does. Now after saying that I'll have to dig into the repair manual and see what I can come up with but that might be a while.

In the meantime try pulling in on the rear brake lever when you try to start, this should bypass the interlock and allow you to start. This will also work if you are in gear.

If this doesn't work make sure that the rear brake light is coming on, there has been a problem with the brake switch located down on the left rear axle but can easily be rectified by pulling the plunger out. If you look at it you will see what I mean, there is a spring attached to the plunger.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Next time it happens try pushing your Kodiak back n forth and see if that helps engage the transmission fully into park and try the starter again. If it starts your not fully engaged into park. Another way to test it would be moving the shift lever back n forth to see if the linkage gets into park fully and try starting again. Might just be a minor adjustment to the linkage or a switch.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Also try starting it in Neutral, if that works then you can assume this is what most suspect it is and that is the interlock. That switch is just not aligning completely some of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts