Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum AND new to owning an ATV (I'm 46 years old and tired of dragging deer!). I recently bought a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 (model YFM70KPHGH), which has the lever on the left handle bar to engage/disengage the 4WD function. I'm excited to finally be able to access some deeper hunting spots in the woods, and NOT kill myself trying to get a buck out.

A small bit of history on my new Kodiak 700 - it only had 11 hours and 61 miles on it when I bought it, and it is as clean as a whistle. I bought it from the original owner, who used it last deer season for the same purpose I bought it for.

On to my dilemma... when I drive my Kodiak I'm hearing a high-pitched "whining" sound from the right front axle, especially when I let off the gas. At faster speeds the sound is more noticeable. Here's what I've done and diagnosed:

1. With the front end off the ground, in 2WD I can spin the left front tire and it spins freely,slowly comes to a stop, and does NOT make any noise. When I spin the right front tire, it will spin but comes to a stop a lot quicker than the left front, plus I hear a clicking sound underneath that I don't hear from the left side.

2. I've taken both front tires off (front end is up on blocks), and spun each axle by hand (grabbing the end of the axle where the tire mounts on) in both 2WD and 4WD. In 4WD, both axles make the same sound (the clicking sound as described in #1 above).

My diagnosis: When in 4WD, both axles are engaged inside the front axle like they should be. When I manually switch back from 4WD to 2WD, I don't think the right front axle is disengaging (my guess). Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on what I can do to fix this (is this something I can fix, or should I get an ATV mechanic to look at it)? As an FYI, I'm a savvy fellow with wrenches, but don't think I'd want to tear apart the front end of my new-to-me Kodiak.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all might have.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you Kodi

As for your dilemma, most likely the whining you're hearing is coming from your CVT - right by your right foot rest. That is more or less normal, all cvt's are a little noisy. It will be useful if you had another ATV to listen and compare sounds. With time you will be able to hear unusual noises like clunks and clicks - those are not good; or high pitched chirps when your belt is slipping under heavy acceleration or when it gets wet.

As for the right/left front axles differences: what you experience is absolutely normal, that is what all Yamaha ATVs are like. I don't know the inner workings of the front differential but that is how it behaves normally.

As a side note for your model just like mine - the 4WD is more like 3WD -meaning that your front differential does not have a lock and in theory if one of the front tires looses traction it will free spin while the one still on the ground will not. The rear is not a differential, just a drive- meaning they spin together no matter what.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new to you Kodi

As for your dilemma, most likely the whining you're hearing is coming from your CVT - right by your right foot rest. That is more or less normal, all cvt's are a little noisy. It will be useful if you had another ATV to listen and compare sounds. With time you will be able to hear unusual noises like clunks and clicks - those are not good; or high pitched chirps when your belt is slipping under heavy acceleration or when it gets wet.

As for the right/left front axles differences: what you experience is absolutely normal, that is what all Yamaha ATVs are like. I don't know the inner workings of the front differential but that is how it behaves normally.

As a side note for your model just like mine - the 4WD is more like 3WD -meaning that your front differential does not have a lock and in theory if one of the front tires looses traction it will free spin while the one still on the ground will not. The rear is not a differential, just a drive- meaning they spin together no matter what.
Rollin, thanks for the reply. Today i put the 700 up on blocks in my garage with the front tires off (I left the back tires on, but they were off the ground) and ran it in 2WD and 4WD. I then put the front tires back on the axle and ran it again (all while I was standing on both sides listening). With those tests, my concusion is thatvyou were correct and I was in fact hearing the CVT.

So with that determination, my next question is: will the CVT quiet down after the 700 gets some hours on it? The owners manual mentioned the break-in period... reckon it would quiet down once the 700 has 20-40 hours on it? Right now it only has 11 hours (66 miles) on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was concerned about the sound.

At first I was wondering what the whining and chattering was . . . and then I kinda came to the realization that after riding a Honda Foreman (and before that a TRX) with traditional gearing and no CVT/belt that I had become accustomed to the quieter ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
@Claims Rep.
The CVT noise is generated by the belt riding up and down in the pulleys and the primary weights rollers that are sliding. Watch this:

It will not become more quiet with time. But, since you're not the original owner maybe there was water and/or mud or sand in the primary. You should service your primary clutch sheave just to be sure. There are plenty of videos on this subject an threads on this forum. Be sure to follow assembly/disassembly procedures s you don't damage stuff. Or just take the cover off for a quick peak inside, if it looks clean and dry just button it back up.

Maybe is just your perception , I really don't notice it anymore when riding with my helmet on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts