Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
i got anoise in my front diff 2019 kodiak 700 se 280 km on er i noticed it on the way home from a trip the other day i could feel it slightly in front end driveing on racks around 60 km i jacked it up and the right sid eis hard to turn bu hand by the hub only with the tire on u can spin it but theer sresistance i see vids saying its normal nut its seems abit to much friction its like its not 100 % out a 4x4 maybe 98% out but still rubbing the splines in the diff abit i got an appoint this weeknd at dealer but was woundering whatyou all think

Super Moderator
It's hard to say. Did you try putting it into 4x4 and out a couple of times to see if there is a difference? But it should be pretty free and able to spin the wheel without really feeling any resistance. Could your brake be dragging on that side?

It wouldn't be the diff lock because if it is engaged then it would be locked tight and you wouldn't be able to even turn the wheels.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
no the 4x4 actuater works fine 4x4 and diff lock and out but it seems like its still touching on the end of the splines inside wheer the collar slides over to put in 4x4 and lock the diff its outa 4x4 but when jacked up and you turn the wheel the front drive shaft will want to turn with it
and its prety stiff to turn on right side the laft spines freely like it should some said its normal because thats the side with the crown gear on it but it seems to mauch to me i checked fluid levels are perfect seemed clean no water
i didnt notice this the first few rides just the last after i was in some mud and went to lock diffd after i was in mud but already in 4x4 it wouldnt lock because of pressure i guess i wasnt sping or anything while i tried so i unlocked the button and whinched out
alos the mud hiting my front calipers caused my front brakes to have no handle ata ll had to pump them up after i was out but thats a nothing story no problem tho

Registered
Great answer from him Jim, so my only question are you sure you have it in neutral?

Super Moderator
I haven't looked at mine and done it but I believe that the drive shaft will move some when you have the front end jacked up and are turning a wheel even out of 4x4. But if you grab the shaft it should just stay there in your hand when you turn the wheel.

Could some muddy water of gotten into the front diff? I know that it is pretty much sealed but things happen. I saw a video on 501 Parts web site where he was showing how to flush the diff because of mud and water that had gotten into it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
in netural lol yup im no neb to atv but maybe i should be more clear when i jack it up the front laft wheel will spin but it still wants to grab the front drive shaft to the motor as it does as it does it makes a kinda sliping noise u can hear the inside slideing past the splines id say thats what it sounds and seems like as if the the actuater were to pull back another 1/8" it would be totaly free i only noticed this and felt it while driveing thwe last trip i had a 2006 grizzly ttoaly rebnuilt it front to back and i dont remember this kinda rubbing friction issue i think the front right tire may have had some resistance when spining it while jacked up but nothin to make me think its not normanl but my kodiak has so much resistance that i tink while driveing it its actualy slowing me down ii tryd puting in 4x4 and diff lock and in netural drive reverse all gears whiule jacked up and pushed front to back on floor while not jacked to see if it would come loser but its the same no matter what
maybe where its only 280km on it things are still real stiff it might losen up im not shore but its real tight now if i take the tire off nad try to turn the hub by hand i almost cant

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't looked at mine and done it but I believe that the drive shaft will move some when you have the front end jacked up and are turning a wheel even out of 4x4. But if you grab the shaft it should just stay there in your hand when you turn the wheel.

Could some muddy water of gotten into the front diff? I know that it is pretty much sealed but things happen. I saw a video on 501 Parts web site where he was showing how to flush the diff because of mud and water that had gotten into it.
the fluid is perfect i can hold the front shaft with hand and rotat the wheel but its wants to turn it in park you dont need to hold the front shaft cause it cant turn but i think its to hard to turn by hand

Super Moderator
The only other thing that you can do to eliminate the possibility of something being slightly engaged is to pull the 4x4 servo motor off and then slide the gear all the way to the left to make sure that it isn't engaging. That would eliminate that piece of the problem.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
ya i will wate untill the dealer looks at it before i break any seals so they cannot say anything was my doing if they say its normal i will check the servo and remove to see if i can make it release more and if they say it needs fixing then ok it shouldnt need fixing never used it lol but never know i feel they will say its normal and will losen after more kms are put on it .i will let you know what they say

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
went to dealer said the noise was normal and diff was operating perfect i must have just been listening to hard the resistance would probly lessen as it broke in sence all was good i picked up a front and rear bumper while i was there they look good

Super Moderator
Did they tell you what your are feeling as far as drag when turning the axle by hand?

Registered
Did they check to see if there was enough gear oil in it?

Registered
i got anoise in my front diff 2019 kodiak 700 se 280 km on er i noticed it on the way home from a trip the other day i could feel it slightly in front end driveing on racks around 60 km i jacked it up and the right sid eis hard to turn bu hand by the hub only with the tire on u can spin it but theer sresistance i see vids saying its normal nut its seems abit to much friction its like its not 100 % out a 4x4 maybe 98% out but still rubbing the splines in the diff abit i got an appoint this weeknd at dealer but was woundering whatyou all think
What you feel is perfectly normal. Your right front wheel is ALWAYS engaged / mechanically connected to the rear wheels. The left wheel is not. So the resistance and notchy feeling is actually the spider gears in your front differential doing their job.

This question comes up frequently.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
yup i figured it was the gears turning but thought it was alitle bit to much friction but no its normal i was just being perinoid went on a 100km cruise the other day shes mint

1 - 16 of 16 Posts