Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of freezing rain followed by light dusting of snow. Very humid wind. But the Dog (Fuzzy) must run twice daily regardless. After 1 1/2 hrs in the saddle with high quality winter gloves..I was wining out loud. Never again will I mock my brothers north of me for windshields, hand guards and heated grips ..my hats off to all who spend time in the OUT. However this does not address the issue of thumb fatigue and frostbite due capillary blanching and reducing blood flow. Static pressure required by the thumb throttle is responsible. Should be a good way to engineer a steady state throttle speed that is easy to disable. Anywho..some pictures of the creek on my property. Have a great 2021. Red
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tread
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior All-terrain vehicle Off-road vehicle

Attachments

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
Heated grips with a heated throttle are def pretty nice. I use mine all of the time. Most importantly is when out trail riding and it is cold but not cold enough to snow and it rains. I've never used pogies (bar mitts) on my ATVs although I do have an unused pair for my MTB that I've been meaning to try out.

I also suffer from thumb soreness that is not only isolated to winter cold so I just ordered a new throttle which is supposed to be FAR superior to the OEM throttle. Made by Urmosi. It is supposed to have a really light throttle action and also has 3 quick adjust settings along with the ability to adjust with tools. Uses multiple needle bearings... I can't wait to get it and use it. Although it does require a minor modification to get the 4x4 module reattached but Motion Pro makes a relocation plate that works. Downside is it is not exactly cheap but if it alleviates the soreness I get in my thumb, the price will be worth it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, heated grips are very nice, but that thumb warmer is just as or more important. Hey, I put heated grips on my snow blower and that is really nice, I just tied them into my light circuit, and I don't use the light.

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Heated grips are one thing that should come stock on our Kodiaks, they are well worth the money. I was looking at a friends Kawasaki and saw a switch on the dash and asked him what it was for, he said the heated grips. It was actually incorporated into the switches for the bike itself, now how nice would that be.

On the heated throttle, I swear every time that I stop to warm my thumb up that I am going to get one but then I never do and am back cussing the next time that my thumb is frozen. I have rode mine in a lot of snowstorms and never even considered a windshield, but when you are riding in the rain and just want to get out of it that is when I would like one.

Reactions: Buckmaster

·
Registered
361 Posts
I use the bar mitts, They work great for me and how I ride (slowly). I was surprised they fit over the winch switch. They keep my hands warm,bare hands.With gloves my hands sweat. The plus for me is they don't need power..

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
For all you guys complaining of sore thumb. I'll share a little secret that was told to me and it works. I used to get throttle thumb all the time. I had a neighbour who told me how to solve it but being a teenager, I figured I was way smarter than this old man, regardless of the years he spent on old scooters in England with thumb control not twist grip.
Anyways, come home one day after a 8hr ride with my buddies, and my thumb was numb and sore, he was there talking with my dad and as soon as i mentioned my sire thumb, he said thats it.. You are going to listen to me. He grabs a screwdriver ache we head to the old Honda big red, he losens the thumb throttle on the bar, adventure tells me to grab the bar with my thumb on the throttle.
He moved it in closer to my hand and slightly lower.
It used my whole thumb, not just the end or tip.
Seemed kind of wierd feeling, but he was right. Next time out, no throttle thumb! Fatigue was nonexistent.
You need to play around with the throttle. As you squeeze it in, your thumb naturally goes down a bit, but you are holding it against that throttle so it just goes straight, you are technically fighting against your thumbs natural movements, and over time plus vibration, you develop fatigue.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
I always have adjusted the controls on the handlebars.Brake levers,throttle,everybody's hands are different..

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've had Heat demons and windshields on both my 2009 and present 2019 Grizzly This allows me to ride in brutal -25C + windchill colds when our local trails are solid enough for quad riding . Here's such a ride

Reactions: Buckmaster

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
You need to play around with the throttle. As you squeeze it in, your thumb naturally goes down a bit, but you are holding it against that throttle so it just goes straight, you are technically fighting against your thumbs natural movements, and over time plus vibration, you develop fatigue.
Thanks for that and you are right about not leaving the throttle in the position it is/was when you first got the bike. I have done that, moved it in, out of the hand box and used different angles and so far, nothing has resulted in a fully comfortable position after a good day's ride. That includes even using the base of my thumb on the throttle, with and without an extender. I really was hopeful something like that would work but so far it hasn't. For me, I'm sure it hasn't helped that I've jammed my thumb numerous times ATVing and MTBing. I guess I need to say I've never learned to grow up, still letting adrenaline rule over reasonable thinking at times.

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Thanks for that and you are right about not leaving the throttle in the position it is/was when you first got the bike. I have done that, moved it in, out of the hand box and used different angles and so far, nothing has resulted in a fully comfortable position after a good day's ride. That includes even using the base of my thumb on the throttle, with and without an extender. I really was hopeful something like that would work but so far it hasn't. For me, I'm sure it hasn't helped that I've jammed my thumb numerous times ATVing and MTBing. I guess I need to say I've never learned to grow up, still letting adrenaline rule over reasonable thinking at times.
Yup, all that "learning experience" wouldn't help your thumb at all. Lol

But yeah, the stock position that the guys set it at during pdi most likely isn't going to be right at all. Got to set the position for yourself. Trial and error and get it to the best possible position... It will most likely never be perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
When I put the Grizzly bars on my Kodiak it took me quite a while to find a comfortable position for the throttle and brake levers. It wasn't that hard trying different positions since I carry a 1/4" socket set with me on my Kodiak. If I found something uncomfortable it only took a minute to loosen the bolts and move it a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got a bit of freezing rain followed by light dusting of snow. Very humid wind. But the Dog (Fuzzy) must run twice daily regardless. After 1 1/2 hrs in the saddle with high quality winter gloves..I was wining out loud. Never again will I mock my brothers north of me for windshields, hand guards and heated grips ..my hats off to all who spend time in the OUT. However this does not address the issue of thumb fatigue and frostbite due capillary blanching and reducing blood flow. Static pressure required by the thumb throttle is responsible. Should be a good way to engineer a steady state throttle speed that is easy to disable. Anywho..some pictures of the creek on my property. Have a great 2021. Red View attachment 10308 View attachment 10308 View attachment 10310
Some nice pics! Just to mention I use both a twist throttle and thumb, I switch off. Just took off the internal stop inside the twist handle. It simply moves out the way to use thumb. No more fatigue. Arthur rites is mean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts