Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get myself a new trailer so I could carry my Kodiak and another wheeler in case someone else wanted to tag along on some of my rides a distance away.

I also wanted an all aluminum one, way lighter and not as much upkeep.

I had my old trailer which was a 78"x10' for 15 years was really not in bad shape. Bought it for $1,000, pulled it for 15 years, put new tires on it and sold it for $950, I did well.

I had been eyeing a 12' aluminum but changed my mind and went for a 14'. The new trailer only weighs 675 lbs, can't really tell it's back there it when pulling. It's also got ramps on the front to side-load a wheeler or whatever.

Pretty happy with the purchase.

Attachments

Reactions: Primethious

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's a beauty!

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice upgrade! I have a 7x16 with the side ramps up front. Its nice to have options when loading multiple machines.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I have thought about upgrading to a nice aluminum trailer but will keep my all steel one with a wood deck.

It always seams that you get rid of one problem and find another one when you change materials. The biggest thing that I don't like aluminum for is that if you start to get a crack in it you need to take it to a welding shop if you are not set up for welding aluminum, plus everything needs to be bolted onto to it. You just can't grab the old welder and go to town on it.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
killer Trailer! you are gonna love that thing.

great deal on selling your old trailer too. that's the way to do it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maiden voyage will be Friday morning, I'll be loading it up and pulling out at 5:30 heading to Hatfield McCoy! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought an old 7x12. I cut the side rail to front side load a wheeler. It didn't have a ramp so I used aluminum tri fold ramps. I recently had a 2' duck tail and a rear gate ramp added. No more side loading unless I choose to. It's a dual axle steel and wood. I ordered two aluminum side mount tool boxes that will be here tomorrow. They will be incorperated into fenders. Then it will get all new wood and a bed liner paint job. When finished I'll have around $900 in it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That’s a really good price for all that. Good job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't been on in a few days, the trailer pulled very good on the trip. I did use a bit more fuel pulling it, not a great deal but more, I believe the wider slats on the gate versus the expanded wire one on my old trailer to be the culprit.

Had another great time at Hatfield McCoy Rockhouse! :)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts