Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any input on new aftermarket tires? What is everyone running and do you love them or hate them? I'm still on the fence about what new tires to get I really like the look of the STI Outback max 27x10x12 but I'm guessing I would have to get new rims as well since they are 10" wide tires all around vs the stocks are skinny fronts and wider rears. Another draw back of those tires are the weight vs stock.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm running 27" maxxis zilla's on mine. 9" on front and 11" on back. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Head and shoulders above the stockers. They are not a heavy tire and aggressive thread. I lost no power with them. I used the stock rims on my eps.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I'm running 27" maxxis zilla's on mine. 9" on front and 11" on back. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Head and shoulders above the stockers. They are not a heavy tire and aggressive thread. I lost no power with them. I used the stock rims on my eps.
I'm gonna be that guy, because it's one of my pet peeves from working in tires years ago.....

it's TREAD not THREAD.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Well, I'm gonna be that guy who hates auto correct on his iPad lol. Anyway, I just ripped my sleeve.....gotta go get some "tread" lol.........ya,ya....I know.......it's thread!

sorry for making fun, I didn't realize you were handicapped..... to be fair you should inform people of that right away.... its not obvious right away that you're an Apple guy...... roflmao

sorry, couldn't resist . lol

btw.... i'm sure that my death will be linked to auto correct somehow someday ....lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
AMS Slingshots are a beast of a tire. Worth looking at. I run them on mostly rocky, hilly, technical trails with some mud medium to hard pack mostly and they go thru and up anything. Never let me down on lots of different trails.

·
Registered
342 Posts
AMS Slingshot XT.
I don't have but about 50' on mine so I can't say yet, but all the reviews were really excellent.
I went 1" over stock.

·
Registered
693 Posts
AMS Slingshots are a beast of a tire. Worth looking at. I run them on mostly rocky, hilly, technical trails with some mud medium to hard pack mostly and they go thru and up anything. Never let me down on lots of different trails.

AMS Slingshot XT.
I don't have but about 50' on mine so I can't say yet, but all the reviews were really excellent.
I went 1" over stock.
I've also read excellent reviews on the resonably priced AMS slingshots and have recommended them to others who did in fact buy the 26" versions and love them.

I've never had the pleasure to compare my PB Growlers to stockers so I'd love to hear what you guy's think of your tire upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I run 26" forerunner maxx plus, they are described as a sort o slingshot xt knockoff.
I only have 30KM on them, but they seem great, very aggressive , they throw rocks like an 8yo boy.... seem to really paw through snow really well.

I already ant a different tire, I want the interco reptile radials. I didn't know my tire place stocks them and has a great price on them. now i need to find a buyer for my practically new tires. lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've also read excellent reviews on the resonably priced AMS slingshots and have recommended them to others who did in fact buy the 26" versions and love them.

I've never had the pleasure to compare my PB Growlers to stockers so I'd love to hear what you guy's think of your tire upgrades.
I looked into the PBG's.
They make different levels of tread depth, and they had great reviews, but the cost, especially for the really aggressive ones, was just too much for me.
The stock tires are very squishy. I'm heavy and didn't feel very stable trying to do a donut or really even turn around quickly on the rocky roads we have in the mountains. I wanted a stiffer carcass. The stock tires squished horribly when I lifted the large snow plow, but the XT's felt significantly more supportive. We may get snow here in a couple days. If we do then I'll be able to speak about how they are in the snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 26" STI Black Diamond. So far have 6,000 miles on them and they should be good for another 1500 I would guess. Seem to be a good all around tire, although some people have had to balance wheels after getting them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have 26" STI Black Diamond. So far have 6,000 miles on them and they should be good for another 1500 I would guess. Seem to be a good all around tire, although some people have had to balance wheels after getting them.
Wow that's some good mileage out of those tires!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've been too by a couple of owners that they put a substantial amount of mileage on mud bugs but I've no personal experience with them myself. Wether or not they are exaggerating, I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
I've been too by a couple of owners that they put a substantial amount of mileage on mud bugs but I've no personal experience with them myself. Wether or not they are exaggerating, I have no idea.
can you even still get mud bugs? they were all the rage back in the mid to late 90s, i thought bear claws k299 sales pretty much killed off the mud bugs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
can you even still get mud bugs? they were all the rage back in the mid to late 90s, i thought bear claws k299 sales pretty much killed off the mud bugs.
I have no idea. When i was looking to upgrade, I eliminated choices based on weight. I didn't want to have to do clutch work because of heavier tires. Mud bugs were heavier than I wanted, so I didn't look for them.

Edit: just did a quick search and yes, they are still available.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Got to ride in some snow a couple times, and the XT's did great.

Noticeably more supportive that the stock tires and not harsh.
Now I got to figure out how to ride around a logging gate where the terrain drops off. Some guy can do it on a smaller quad, but the Kodiak is just too wide.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the QB (Quad Boss) brand?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts