Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching new tires, and I have narrowed it to a few options. Thought I would get opinions here....
Maxxis Bighorn 3, Sedona Rip Saw RT, Pitbull Growler. I’m thinking to go up to 26” too. I can’t help but consider the original Bighorn as well.
Seems like the Growler may be shortest life. Bighorn is most popular, Bighorn 3 is new.... and Rip Saw has limited info.
Do most of you buy at your dealer? Discount tire? Or online and install yourself?

·
Registered
472 Posts
There is a bunch of info on tires here, and I have limited experience on tires, but I like Bear Claws. I bought them on line great price and had a local tire shop mount them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my PitBull Growlers. In my case they are wearing like iron.

I have 3000 miles of hard use on my set and they are maybe a bit over 1/8 of an inch worn....

26" to 27" are perfect size tires.

Bighorns, Zillas, Bearclaws, Slingshots etc...are all great tires...

Discount tires generally have the best deals.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the Bear Claw a radial? It also gets good reviews and costs less. I have been reading the reviews here a lot. That’s where I found the Growler, thanks to Vincent... reviews are awesome, but it’s a little heavy and some people get chunking 🏻
Not sure how many more miles I want to put on these stock socks lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit - I’m kinda leaning toward that Growler.
The Zilla seems awesome, but isn’t it more of a mud tire? I was aiming at a “trail tread”

·
Registered
699 Posts
You know you want a bad *** set of PitBull Growlers on your Kodiak!!!! Lol

Attachments

Reactions: Al_benny

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Those are beautifully aggressive!!! Do they fix the terrible handling? Are you on 26 or 27”?

·
Registered
232 Posts
There’s 2 bear claws, the original k299 ‘s a bias 6 ply tire that’s a great all around tire . I’ve run them and they are great for the money. The newer 8 ply radial bear claw HTR has some great reviews.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wow! Those are beautifully aggressive!!! Do they fix the terrible handling? Are you on 26 or 27”?
They are 26". They handle amazing and roll smoothly at any speed... Zero handle bar shakes.
They are tough as He11 , and have amazing year round traction.

These are the imported BG2.5. version. They have stiff side walls and can get you home with basically no air in them. I run them at 3 to 4 psi.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put a set of the Kenda Bear Claw HTR's on mine. They sit about an inch taller on the rears than stock and have more contact area on the ground. I only have about ten miles on them so far but I noticed a difference immediately.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
Pitbull are a radial, and every single review I have ever read on them is positive except price, and they seem to last forever. If you factor in their life, they aren't very expensive at all.

The old gear law k299 6ply bias is a nice tire, but a bit out dated compared to what's on the market now. Tread depth is lacking too. The htr radials seem really nice, and would be a better choice I belief on a +500cc bike

Cabby go wrong with bighorn, they are now pretty much the standard to compare other tires to.

I myself went with reptile radials, not much mileage on them yet, but traction and handling in all conditions from hard pack to mud and snow has been amazing.

My reptiles

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob-c and Vincent

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have to admit - I’m kinda leaning toward that Growler.
The Zilla seems awesome, but isn’t it more of a mud tire? I was aiming at a “trail tread”
The zilla is a mud tire but very nice on the trails. There is however, the "mud zilla" which is more suited to playing in the mud.

·
Registered
699 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lots of choices out there...right after you purchase you'll see another with "man I should have bought those" going through your head! Every tire mentioned here look really great and will probably perform just as well as they look.

I put the Zilla's on mine and have been very happy with them. I run in hard pack, mud, and rock with no complaints about the tires.

If I ever do wear these out enough to justify a new set, I would like to give the Bighorns a shot. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Agreed, Many excellent choices out there.

I'd personaly would LOVE to try a set of light weight Zillas for awhile.

But I'm so impressive with my Growlers after hard 3000 miles , I'll more then likely stick with them again the next time around.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would probably be easier if mine were worn out... I’m planning to sell them as “new take-offs” with 25 miles - lol! Should help offset the $$.
The Sedona tire is the anomaly in the list. Almost no info on it. It weighs a little less, has deeper tread depth... so it must have thinner sidewalls. I can only find ~5 reviews.
Thanks for all the input and encouragement.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would definitely keep the weight of the tire as a consideration. The heavier tires will affect your engine performance. Whatever tires you get should be better than the stock ones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have Run the Ripsaw tire on my Can-am for the last 5 years. They are good for hard pack and rocks which is what I ride 90 %. Lasted long and tough so I didn't get the side wall rips like other tires... But they were almost $600 a set installed... I have not run them on my Kodiak yet and with the price I may try something else this summer...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts