Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed the paper work on a 2021 Kodiak 700, base model. Going to pick it up sometime next week. I almost went with a Polaris Sportsman 570... but I value reliability and durability above all else. Although, I wonder how this Kodiak 700 will hold up against my buddies sportsman 570, and my brothers 06 Brute Force 750. Can't wait to modify my new rig and look forward to learning from all other Kodiak owners.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the site, there are plenty of owners here that will give you some great advise on how to spend your money.

Power wise that Brute Force may give the Kodiak a run for it's money but I wouldn't worry about the Sportsman.. However speed isn't everything and your new Kodiak will hold its own anywhere else once you get it modified properly for what you plan on using it for.

Registered
Congrats!!! . Your first mod should be the to switch to grizzly weights in the primary sheave ... Best bang for buck performance out there

Reactions: Madmax

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! This is primarily my "toy", looking to do some aggressive trail riding, hill climbing and some light mud. I'll have to look into shim installations and I may consider a EHS tuner, however not allowed to get an aftermarket pipe due to the areas I'll be riding.

Registered
Thank you! This is primarily my "toy", looking to do some aggressive trail riding, hill climbing and some light mud. I'll have to look into shim installations and I may consider a EHS tuner, however not allowed to get an aftermarket pipe due to the areas I'll be riding.
Don't throw money on ehs tuner too quickly. 300+ $ and my 2019 700 didn't gain anything from it. I've since modified my tip / spark arrester assembly and appreciate the theoretical safety of a tuner

Shims and weights are the best cheap performance mods out there in my opinion

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, this is good to know. I was thinking grizzly weights for now, maybe shims too. Did you notice a reduction in top speed? Thanks.

Registered
I don't run shims. I have a Coop45 machined sheave. Equivalent to 2.5mm of shims with zero top speed loss.

Generally 1.5 mm of shims will cut about 3 mph top end.

Registered
I just signed the paper work on a 2021 Kodiak 700, base model. Going to pick it up sometime next week. I almost went with a Polaris Sportsman 570... but I value reliability and durability above all else. Although, I wonder how this Kodiak 700 will hold up against my buddies sportsman 570, and my brothers 06 Brute Force 750. Can't wait to modify my new rig and look forward to learning from all other Kodiak owners.
Welcome aboard and great choice. I would also recommend ditching the factory tires, there are way better options than stock.

Registered
Welcome aboard and great choice. I would also recommend ditching the factory tires, there are way better options than stock.
X2. Stock tires suck.

Registered
you will probably be towing the polaris after it breaks and the brute force will **** on you.
it has a powerful v-twin that the kodiak cant compete with.
i like what yamaha has done with the clutching of the kodiak,it has good low end and pulls well.
grizzly weights will change things a bit but no need for myself to go there.
if i wanted the grizzly feel i would have bought one instead of the kodiak.

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
this wknd I did a drag-race against my buddies popo-570. I took the 1st, he took the 2nd. Just depended on who got the jump at the line. Pretty much dead even. I鈥檓 running heavy 27鈥 tires and stock clutch so far.
The Brute Force will just run out of gas 1/2 way through the ride. Hahaha!!!!

Super Moderator
you will probably be towing the polaris after it breaks and the brute force will **** on you.
i like what yamaha has done with the clutching of the kodiak,it has good low end and pulls well.
Some of us want the grizzly feel without the grizzly bulkiness which equals better than grizzly in the end.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
I laugh everytime I read that the brute force has a powerful v-twin. It's 2hp more than the Kodiak, and it's about 15 lbs heavier bringing the power to weight ratio between the Kodiak and brute to almost the same.
There's a guy in my neighborhood who has a 2019 brute force 750 and his teenage son has an older 650. I ran into these guys in a gravel pit out behind my place. The father was pretty impressed with my bike thought the Kodiak was a pretty nice looking machine. So naturally us being guys we had to race LOL
A few little drag races down the road leading to the pit is what really impressed that guy with my Kodiak. I stayed with him no problem, going down the road we stayed pretty much side by side neither one could really gain any headway meanwhile the 650 wasn't lagging very far behind that's a pretty fast little machine. Mind you the kid that was on it ways maybe 85 90 lb LOL
So I asked the guy if you wanted to try my bike mainly because I kind of wanted to try the Brute myself, I hadn't been on one since the 750 first came out. So we did a little playing around in the pit then we decided to try a race again but on each other's bikes now this guy weighs maybe my guess 150 lb at most and I'm just over 300. That weight difference on the bikes made all the difference. He would leave me off the line with my Kodiak and as we were going down the road which is probably about 3/4 of a kilometer long I couldn't catch him with the brute force. We tried this about four or five times with the same result him being lighter on my Kodiak and me being about twice his weight on his brute and he would leave me every time. I jump back on my Kodiak and he on his brute and we got the same side-by-side result again. So those bikes are very close.I was hoping to run into these guys again this summer now that I have my clutch work done I think just toasting him off the line now would be a big help

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
I really enjoyed your Brute Force story, as my best friend just bought one. We finally got to ride last night. He has around 3 hours on it, still breaking it in. After everything was warmed up, we did a couple drag races also. We were on blacktop actually, so no wheel spin. That Brute Force lifted the front end about 18鈥 on a 3/4 throttle pull! Meanwhile I was getting away. My friend let off, settled it down, and hit it again. He drove right past me. Easily. And I have Grizzly weights, shims, and a spring. My friend outweighs me by 40# too.
Must be my Kodiak is slow, or your friends is worn out. But hats off to the Brute for a strong, fast, reliable machine. It doesn鈥檛 fit me at all, and I still like my 2nd place Kodiak. Lol!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I really enjoyed your Brute Force story, as my best friend just bought one. We finally got to ride last night. He has around 3 hours on it, still breaking it in. After everything was warmed up, we did a couple drag races also. We were on blacktop actually, so no wheel spin. That Brute Force lifted the front end about 18鈥 on a 3/4 throttle pull! Meanwhile I was getting away. My friend let off, settled it down, and hit it again. He drove right past me. Easily. And I have Grizzly weights, shims, and a spring. My friend outweighs me by 40# too.
Must be my Kodiak is slow, or your friends is worn out. But hats off to the Brute for a strong, fast, reliable machine. It doesn鈥檛 fit me at all, and I still like my 2nd place Kodiak. Lol!
Lol thanks for sharing! I鈥檓 going to run my 2021 kodiak 700 against my brothers 2006 Brute 750 this weekend. Both are bone stock. Can鈥檛 wait, might take some videos, but I鈥檒l keep you posted.

Super Moderator
It's 2hp more than the Kodiak, and it's about 15 lbs heavier bringing the power to weight ratio between the Kodiak and brute to almost the same.
Thanks for bringing that up!

It never ceases to amaze why so many get hung up on direct HP numbers when power to weight ratio is always more accurate. I read many times where someone states a Sportsman XP 1000 has twice the HP of the Grizzly. Yes, the Sportsman XP 1000 is quite the powerful ATV over a Grizzly/Kodiak so I quickly ran the numbers. Keep in mind Polaris only lists dry weights. When I ran the numbers for wet weights on my model year Grizzly and the Polaris XP 1000, it came out as the following:

Power to Weight ratio

20 Sportsman XP 1000 = .106
14 Grizzly 700 = .073

As with just about anything that is ICE, caveman tendencies come out where everyone tries to one up the other and the XP 1000 does have a pretty good amount more power, but don't forget that added heft one needs to pull around too. But I suppose one could say there is roughly 1/3 more power on the XP.

There, now I feel better :p :LOL:

Reactions: CanadianKodiak700

Super Moderator
Lol definitely a problem with your bike if you have grizzly weights and a shim. If he lifted the wheels and had to let off then punched it and passed you while you were already hammer down. There's no way he would gain that much even if you were on an old 350 Honda.
My buddy's brute was a 2019, hardly call that work out. Lol more like freshly broken in. I'm finding it hard to believe that you didn't pick the front wheels off the ground if you punched it on asphalt seeing as you have weights and shims. I know my Kodiak, on asphalt or any good traction hard pack, will lift the fronts when I punch it in high. In low, I have to lean forward hard if I punch the throttle or is coming up almost uncontrollably. That's been the biggest issue drag racing since the machined sheave, throttle control on launch. Lol
Could never go back stock now though... Love it too much.

Registered
Lol definitely a problem with your bike if you have grizzly weights and a shim. If he lifted the wheels and had to let off then punched it and passed you while you were already hammer down. There's no way he would gain that much even if you were on an old 350 Honda.
My buddy's brute was a 2019, hardly call that work out. Lol more like freshly broken in. I'm finding it hard to believe that you didn't pick the front wheels off the ground if you punched it on asphalt seeing as you have weights and shims. I know my Kodiak, on asphalt or any good traction hard pack, will lift the fronts when I punch it in high. In low, I have to lean forward hard if I punch the throttle or is coming up almost uncontrollably. That's been the biggest issue drag racing since the machined sheave, throttle control on launch. Lol
Could never go back stock now though... Love it too much.

Mine does lift - about 3鈥 or so on a take-off. I might check my air filter, but it runs amazing. It has a sweet-spot for power, but even with weights, shim, spring... it doesn't deliver it like that BF! Honestly, I鈥檓 ok with that. On dirt, it spins a lot now. And on actual trails where I ride, more power would just be dangerous!

Super Moderator
Yeah, that's sounds better, it should have lots of torque to lift them. And yeah, I agree, punching it on the trail when your in the power band can get a little squirrely at times. Lol
I just find it really odd that an older bf will gain on you and leave you like that. Definitely shouldn't be able to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts