Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined. Going to need some help with a 450 Kodiak soon. I'm old and in rough shape, bad pancreas, 6 disk that are starting to fuse themselves, spinal and cervical stenosis , two bad hips and a bad case of Lyme disease and that's about the same condition this Kodiak is in , but I need a project.
I know absolutely nothing about 4wheelers but road Harleys for 50 yrs. and toured the country twice .
I live in the Catskill Mountains (on top of one) Population of the nearest town is 850 . Bought this 2004 Kodiak 4x4--450 as a project (its been really neglected ) Hopefully by summer i'll have in decent shape with help from the forum . My Grandfather always said don't learn from the school of hard knocks, learn from the ones that graduated its faster and cheaper, so here I am...…

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on picking up a fun project.

You should post some pictures of what you (we) are working on. Plus, it’s always nice to have some “before” pictures of a project. Maybe write out a few of the things that you know are issues.
Being a 2002, you’ll probably need to pull and clean the carb. There’s a good thread on tires here that you can check out since those are likely needed. For rust, if you’ve been working on bikes you probably know how to remove it but spray on truck bed liner works pretty good for the racks. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.
Good luck and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a fun project. Is it in running condition?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome! :)

It's not the getting old that gets ya...it's the pain! :frown2:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds like a great project! Yea, Please throw a few pictures up. I know at least 7 or 8 people that will have something to say to help.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Welcome! :)

It's not the getting old that gets ya...it's the pain! :frown2:
They have some great pills for the pain

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good luck with your project! Glad you have the interest in taking on this job. You have come to the right place, when you need some remarkable, talented and willing people to answer your questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems to be running , took a (young) friend of mine with me and he ran it 45mph on the road. I'm the type that can't leave stuff alone anyone else would have gassed it up and run it. Already recarbed it , new calipers all fluid changes . Just doing physical stuff right now . To cold out in these mountains in the northeast (unheated garage ) usually work till I can't feel my fingers.
Got lots of time before good weather to do the physical stuff. When good weather comes I'll dive into cleaning . (no cracked plastics) IT'S BEEN SEVERLY NEGLECTED
COSMETICALY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not too bad. I have seen worse. Glad your gettin her restored.
cabin fever, needed a project . Being laid up for three years now …. could have bought one in nice shape but then I wouldn't have a light duty project.
It was an experience where I bought it, looked like Sanford &Sons ….. The guy lived in a tar paper covered house (if you want to call it a house) Had to pee and was walking behind the garage and the guy said don't let my daughter see you (she lives in the garage) Didn't matter to me , at my age ,when you gotta go you gotta go :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome!

I look forward to seeing what it looks like when you are done restoring it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice job! That is looking really nice!

Reactions: kenv1950R

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you got it riding pretty smooth? It looks like a beast

Reactions: kenv1950R

·
Registered