Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the site, from Maryland. I’m looking to learn a lot of information and have already learned a lot from the posts.

I am looking for some help. I am trying to decide between the 2019 Yamaha Grizzly EPS SE 700 and the 2019 Yamaha Kodiak EPS SE 700. This will be my first quad. The quad will primarily be used for work around the farmette. I’d be getting on and off the quad a lot, pulling a trailer (mostly for mulch), pulling other yard equipment, and possibly attaching a sprayer. I’d like to also get a plow at some point for my lengthy driveway. In certain circumstances it may be idling while I get off it to do something, only for me to move to a different area and have it idle again, and doing that all over again if that makes sense. It’s secondary use would be for going out with friends on trail rides, so I’d want to make sure the quad would also be great there.

I’ve set myself up to get either quad, so price isn’t necessarily the issue. I just rather get the one most appropriate for my situation. Any help/suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
If that is what you plan on using the machine for I think that the Grizzly would be the way to go. Yamaha markets it more to the utility type of uses where the Kodiak is more towards trails and such.

However either will do what you want it to do. Perhaps with the Kodiak you would want to change the clutches but I think that stock it would work alright.

·
Registered
272 Posts
JimP: I understand it to be the opposite. I thought the Kodiak was the utility machine and the Grizzly the sporty one. I have a Kodiak 700 EPS and I've been thinking about getting the Grizzly clutch weights so that I'll have a quicker throttle response. I don't mean to be argumentative on our first interaction and I'd love to have more discussions with you about riding in Colorado.

Mapleacres4: In my opinion either model would work great for what you want to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah okay. I thought I read somewhere the Kodiak’s were more suited for the farm/utility work and the Grizzly was more suited for trail riding. I could have misread that though. Thanks for your advice, I will definitely take it into account, along with whatever advice anyone else can give. Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JimP: I understand it to be the opposite. I thought the Kodiak was the utility machine and the Grizzly the sporty one. I have a Kodiak 700 EPS and I've been thinking about getting the Grizzly clutch weights so that I'll have a quicker throttle response. I don't mean to be argumentative on our first interaction and I'd love to have more discussions with you about riding in Colorado.

Mapleacres4: In my opinion either model would work great for what you want to do.
You posted just as I was typing. Thanks for the opinion! Is there anything you wish you had more in the Kodiak besides the quicker throttle response? Any cons to it?

Look forward to hearing others’ opinions!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Your correct, the Kodiak is the utility machine and I would recommend it for your needs, which are very similar to what I use mine for and trail riding being secondary. I have never rode a Grizzly on the trails to compare but I really love my Kodiak on the trails so buy the Kodiak because your primary purpose is utility and that's what it is designed for. You will be happy with it. I haul firewood, logs, dirt, rocks, & trailers weighing up to 5000lbs, and plow snow; it's a work horse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your correct, the Kodiak is the utility machine and I would recommend it for your needs, which are very similar to what I use mine for and trail riding being secondary. I have never rode a Grizzly on the trails to compare but I really love my Kodiak on the trails so buy the Kodiak because your primary purpose is utility and that's what it is designed for. You will be happy with it. I haul firewood, logs, dirt, rocks, & trailers weighing up to 5000lbs, and plow snow; it's a work horse.
Thanks for all the responses!

KodiakAfishyo: Thank you for the detailed response. It seems like both of our primary/secondary uses for the machines are similar. Do you ever feel left behind on the trails when you ride with friends? I think I’ll take everyone’s advice and grab the Kodiak!

·
Registered
550 Posts
My votes for Kodiak! (Again lol...)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have never been left behind...most have a hard time keeping up with me. I have been on trail rides with Can Am 1000 and Polaris 1000 and 570's, Razor 1000's and I had no issues keeping up with them or staying in front of them. The trails & suspension will usually dictate how fast you can go more than anything. Yes the riders ability is key also ( I use to race motocross in my younger days), but don't worry the Kodiak is a ball on the trails and has plenty of horsepower to get you in trouble quick if your not careful.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Beautiful bike! I love the blue ones.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Congrats, you will be happy with it, Love the Blue also...mine is a 2017 and is the Hi-gloss shiny Blue automotive finish. Looks great but shows scratches more, wish I had the new paint scheme like yours for that reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats, you will be happy with it, Love the Blue also...mine is a 2017 and is the Hi-gloss shiny Blue automotive finish. Looks great but shows scratches more, wish I had the new paint scheme like yours for that reason.
That paint color is awesome. I like the hi-gloss paint on yours! Have you had any issues with the trailer hitch? The owners manual says something like the tongue weight can’t exceed 35 pounds or something like that. Are you able to explain this?

Thanks again, all!

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
The problem with these machines and the tongue weight is the IFS rear ends. Too much weight on it and it starts to sag until it finally bottoms out at the bottom of the suspension.

I saw this the first time that I hooked up my 16' car hauler trailer to drag it out of my back yard. The Kodiak just didn't like it back there and when I had to go up a slight incline I found that I could tip it over backwards quite easily.

To rectify this problem I took a old trailer tongue mover that my neighbor gave me and modified it to fit into the receiver. Now all the tongue weight is resting on the two extra wheels with very little on the Kodiak's suspension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, I see! Very awesome design. You should sell your idea to Yamaha or a trailer company. You could probably make a pretty penny on it. Nice work and thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
While it is a good idea the problem is that you will quickly overload the Kodiak's towing maximum capacity with any trailer of any size. Then when someone starts pulling their 20'+ camp trailer around their property and can't stop it they will quickly try to find fault with someone besides themselves.

Now if someone would like to copy the idea and then use it themselves they assume all risks and liabilities that might come up if something should happen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts