Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the forum, but a long time owner of ATV’s, UTV’s, motorcycles, etc., and currently own a 2014 Honda Rancher and 2015 Honda Pioneer P500. I have found the Honda Pioneer P500 to be a great unit and perfect for doing work on the back forty, hunting, etc., and now thinking of getting a “more trail” ATV for pleasure riding. My Honda Rancher is exceptional, but I had the opportunity to drive a CVT model with independent rear suspension and for long trail riding that is hard to beat. I have owned Yamaha’s for many years and wouldn’t hesitate to own another. So, here is my dilemma and based on my limited research, believe the Kodiak is a great fit for me, but stuck between 700 and 450. I have a price point where I want to be and basically, I can get the Armor Grey 450 with EPS & nice wheels for the same price as a base Kodiak 700. I am aware of differences posted on the Yamaha webpage, i.e., 700 differential lock, etc., but have never driven either one. I personally haven’t owned a ATV with power steering and confident I would like it, but at the same time, I have no problem with manual/traditional steering either.

I plan to go ride both, but curious what do you see as a reason to pick one over the other? Again, the price is identical when comparing these units, and obviously cheaper for a 450 without EPS...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm really not sure if this response will help or not . . . but here goes.

Long-time Honda ATV fan . . . and I really thought I wanted the Rincon for my next ATV as I had an older Foreman and was ready to move up to IRS and EPS . . . not to mention a little more power.

However, when I started the research I realized the Rincon is more of a trail ATV vs. a work machine and to be honest I use my ATV as a work horse more often than I ride the trails . . . so then I took a closer look at the Rubicon and Foreman.

Long story short . . . I'm not getting any younger and really wanted to have both the IRS and EPS in my next ATV along with the boost in power. With the Rubicon and Foreman I could get a small bump in power and get the aforementioned IRS and EPS, but the cost of the machine was similar (if not higher -- I cannot remember the exact numbers) of the Kodiak 700 EPS.

In the end I rather reluctantly left Team Honda as Yamaha was offering pretty much what I wanted at the best price point.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with the Kodiak . . . the increase in power, better ride, etc. not to mention full auto has been really nice. Things I miss from my foot shifting Foreman was the really low granny gear for pulling and while I cannot really say what it is exactly, the older Foreman just felt more "solid" (although this is probably just a perception on my part.)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Shop around. I found that some adds on Craigslist were 1k less than what Yamaha's site shows.
I sat on the 450 and the 700, and they both feel roomy.
I chose the 700 for the extra power potential.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts