Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first quad, a 2021 Kodiak 450 realtree camo, and have a winch question.
My quad did not come with a winch, and the dealer recommends a Axon 3500. His price to install is very reasonable ($125), but I will pay more if I buy the winch itself from him. What package am I looking for with this winch (if I buy it myself) , and does it come with all the bells and whistles, or do I have to add extras like a winch plate and wiring ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
233 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your new machine!
There are a few threads on here about the winch. Can’t speak to that brand myself. Popular brands are KFI and Superwinch. Lots of Warn too. Most sell the mounting plate separate.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Just got my first quad, a 2021 Kodiak 450 realtree camo, and have a winch question.
My quad did not come with a winch, and the dealer recommends a Axon 3500. His price to install is very reasonable ($125), but I will pay more if I buy the winch itself from him. What package am I looking for with this winch (if I buy it myself) , and does it come with all the bells and whistles, or do I have to add extras like a winch plate and wiring ?
Thanks !
There are alot of winches that will come with a "universal" mounting plate, and to be honest, about the only thing they fit is a custom built square bumper for a jeep or 4x4 truck.
You will 100% need a mounting plate to fit a 450 Kodiak.
Then with that just about any decent winch will have the rest of what you need. All the wiring comes with it, a switch for up on your handle bars, the contactir relay abs large wired with ring terminals that go your battery.
It's fairly easy to install if you have any mechanical ability, save that $125 they want to charge you and use it towards some accessories.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. The 450 is an excellent choice. I went with the Warn 3500 and am very happy with the unit. Climb those hills!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I need a winch plate to go with the winch package itself. Leaning toward the axon 3500, but the warn website only lists plates for 2018 and 2019 in the Kodiak 450. Guess I wall call the warn people on Monday and see what they say,
Great helpful forum, Thanks !

·
Registered
341 Posts
It is my understanding that the plate for the 2019 is the same.. no chassis change that I'm aware of for the 2021.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
Should be the same plate. Same frame. Do yourself a favor, look online for a kfi plate, much cheaper than the warn one, and no difference in build quality.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RED KED HUSKER

·
Registered
740 Posts
You'd get by fine with a 2500 lb winch. But there's nothing like extra insurance I suppose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a heads up for you 2021 Kodiak 450 owners that want to mount an axon 3500 pound winch (part # 101130). I just called the home office in Oregon, and was advised by one of their techs that the winch mounting plate for this particular model is not available yet, as the configuration had changed from the 2020 model. He said maybe a month or two, and they should have it available. Guess I am back to square one, and will look at other brands.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Now go get some good tires! If you crank the shocks up you'll be able to run a 28"er. Enjoy the 450. I've been enjoying the '20 I bought last year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ah yes .. the never ending quest to set her up RIGHT. I can feel your frustration.. been there done that. The satisfaction that comes with a correctly done modification is the SALVE that eases the pain.

Reactions: Mr_MiNT
1 - 12 of 12 Posts