Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a newbee from 'the other side'...
Don't have one yet but really interested on buying one as soon as financial possible.
Still looking at the differences between Kodiak and Grizzly accept for price and some fancy gadgets I won't need I don't really see the need for a more expansive Grizzly.

I have one concern in buying one though:
I ride a motorbike now and that will have to go for the quad to come. Still work on some 'out of state' projects now but they will be finishing this year and then I want to stay more around the house. We are building a homestead so a quad will have better use then a 2 wheeler. But I would still have to go away from the farm quite regularly to pick up tools, parts, etc. The actual carrying of that will be easier on the quad but some suppliers are a bit of a drive. And I do pickup my 14yo from school every now and then.

So I'm wondering how does a quad do on the longer trips? And then I don't mean weekends and trail riding. I know you can basically drive them all day. But I mean a trip to supplier that is located 45 minutes out by car, and stuff like that.

Any one using their quad for trips like that ? Not always the most fun trips but sometimes necessary. And the rest of the time I can put it to good use on the farm.
Also looked for a utility side by side or 2 seater or how do you call them, but they are much more expansive and look less fun to me.
Like to get a good combination between fun and work. But it still have to be useable on the kind of milage I do.

Please give me your 2cents...

Super Moderator
Welcome to the site.

A 45 minutes haul on a Kodiak can be done but you are going to have some saddle sores. Usually if I ride that much in a day I will take a couple dozen brakes and am not just riding at a higher set speed. I'll also stand up a lot of the time while doing so just to stretch my legs. But it can do it, but I doubt that very many if any of us actually ride them like you mentioned.

For a lot of what you are talking about one of the side by side's may fit the use better for you, even if they are more expensive. You have to look at comfort along with ride ability. That along with they can haul a lot more than a Kodiak unless you get a trailer to pull behind the Kodiak. Then there is the enclosed or at least a roof over you head if you happen to get caught in a rain storm.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages but you really need to look at what you would use it for.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

Registered
I run long distance runs sometimes. most of the time, not more than 40 miles per hour or so. Its quite possible:cool:

Registered
Welcome and sounds fun to me. I would love to be able to spend more time with my ATV. Long rides don't bother me. I was raised on 2 wheels and have made a few cross country trips. You'll be fine coming from 2 to 4. Enjoy.

Reactions: iRay

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm a newbee from 'the other side'...
Don't have one yet but really interested on buying one as soon as financial possible.
Still looking at the differences between Kodiak and Grizzly accept for price and some fancy gadgets I won't need I don't really see the need for a more expansive Grizzly.

I have one concern in buying one though:
I ride a motorbike now and that will have to go for the quad to come. Still work on some 'out of state' projects now but they will be finishing this year and then I want to stay more around the house. We are building a homestead so a quad will have better use then a 2 wheeler. But I would still have to go away from the farm quite regularly to pick up tools, parts, etc. The actual carrying of that will be easier on the quad but some suppliers are a bit of a drive. And I do pickup my 14yo from school every now and then.

So I'm wondering how does a quad do on the longer trips? And then I don't mean weekends and trail riding. I know you can basically drive them all day. But I mean a trip to supplier that is located 45 minutes out by car, and stuff like that.

Any one using their quad for trips like that ? Not always the most fun trips but sometimes necessary. And the rest of the time I can put it to good use on the farm.
Also looked for a utility side by side or 2 seater or how do you call them, but they are much more expansive and look less fun to me.
Like to get a good combination between fun and work. But it still have to be useable on the kind of milage I do.

Please give me your 2cents...
Welcome!!!
How big of a homestead (acres)? If you put some nicer all terrain tires the longer rides would be easier. I have both Grizzly and the Kodiak and I will tell you I like the ease of use on the Kodiak many times. Plus it is factory tuned to run smooth on low throttle. My grizzly is more comfortable running on higher throttle input. Grizzly's wider frame might be more comfortable and stable on longer runs compared Kodiak narrower frame. Turning and general maneuverability is better in Kodiak. The Kodiak 700 EPS has pretty much all the features that the Grizzly has except for the 4 wheel disk brakes but you will be fine without it. Grizzly does have the variable pitch springs in the back that Kodiak does not. If I had to decide I would go with Kodiak if you do a lot of low speed riding.

Silly question but if you have a 45 mins drive by car why wouldn't you take the car and go on an ATV? It is most definitely not going to be as comfortable and faster like a car. Sorry this is probably more American thing in most states we are not allowed to ride out ATVs on roads and we don't have tags on them so really don't use them for commute.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the site.

A 45 minutes haul on a Kodiak can be done but you are going to have some saddle sores. Usually if I ride that much in a day I will take a couple dozen brakes and am not just riding at a higher set speed. I'll also stand up a lot of the time while doing so just to stretch my legs. But it can do it, but I doubt that very many if any of us actually ride them like you mentioned.

For a lot of what you are talking about one of the side by side's may fit the use better for you, even if they are more expensive. You have to look at comfort along with ride ability. That along with they can haul a lot more than a Kodiak unless you get a trailer to pull behind the Kodiak. Then there is the enclosed or at least a roof over you head if you happen to get caught in a rain storm.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages but you really need to look at what you would use it for.
Thanks for your reply,
Yeah well long distance is maybe not an every day thing. But just to fly down to the shop is may be not what the quad is meant for.
Will have another look at side by side, but in my idea i'll like a quad better.They can also be fun, and a side by side looks like a real workhorse to me. < I mean if I would get one it would be an utility version not a race/play version>

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!!!
How big of a homestead (acres)? If you put some nicer all terrain tires the longer rides would be easier. I have both Grizzly and the Kodiak and I will tell you I like the ease of use on the Kodiak many times. Plus it is factory tuned to run smooth on low throttle....... If I had to decide I would go with Kodiak if you do a lot of low speed riding.
The homestead is 30 acres looking to add another 12 to 14 when neighbours are gonne sell some land to us.
Most of it is pasture for chickens, and we are clearing about 22 some acres to grow pasture for some dexter cows.
So its for driving around with buckets of feed and water. And take tools and light fence stuff.

Silly question but if you have a 45 mins drive by car why wouldn't you take the car and go on an ATV? It is most definitely not going to be as comfortable and faster like a car. Sorry this is probably more American thing in most states we are not allowed to ride out ATVs on roads and we don't have tags on them so really don't use them for commute.
Well for one, I don't like driving cars anymore. I have driven so many miles and hours that I'm just fed up with it.
I know it not as combfy and fast as the car, but its a small family car and i would like to keep that a little bit clean and don't trow al kinds of stuff and tools in it. Plus the family car is usually taken away by the wife. And it has no tow-bar so no trailers behind that thing.
We al need to have plates on these machines. And then you can you them mostly everywhere, except the highway and some big national roads.
Maybe I could change the bike for a quad and see for an old pickup truck to go out for tools and equipment. Doesn't really need to be a daily driver for long distances. Just the occasional runs.

Okay thanks for all replies so far. Gives more food for thought...

Good night y'all, or is everybody just waking up ?? :unsure: I really need to put my laptop down. Busy day tomorrow.

Registered
The homestead is 30 acres looking to add another 12 to 14 when neighbours are gonne sell some land to us.
Most of it is pasture for chickens, and we are clearing about 22 some acres to grow pasture for some dexter cows.
So its for driving around with buckets of feed and water. And take tools and light fence stuff.
Oh very nice. I use my ATVs on our 30 Acres as well. I would love to see pictures of your place. Also Kodiak working with whatever attachments you use. It will give me some ideas.

Well for one, I don't like driving cars anymore. I have driven so many miles and hours that I'm just fed up with it.
I know it not as combfy and fast as the car, but its a small family car and i would like to keep that a little bit clean and don't trow al kinds of stuff and tools in it. Plus the family car is usually taken away by the wife. And it has no tow-bar so no trailers behind that thing.
We al need to have plates on these machines. And then you can you them mostly everywhere, except the highway and some big national roads.
Maybe I could change the bike for a quad and see for an old pickup truck to go out for tools and equipment. Doesn't really need to be a daily driver for long distances. Just the occasional runs.

Okay thanks for all replies so far. Gives more food for thought...

Good night y'all, or is everybody just waking up ?? :unsure: I really need to put my laptop down. Busy day tomorrow.
Yes we Americans are spoiled so we assume everyone has ten cars:D I know I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel truck to do the heavy duty and I have an old Suburban for when we bring 30-40 bags of feed and don't want to unload everything or when dogs need to be taken somewhere lol. I sound so bad....... And that is on top of the other 3 vehicles we have.

Super Moderator
@iRay I personally think you'll be fine doing runs to a supplier on an ATV even if it is longer as you suggest. Reason I'm saying that is you mention the key word, fun. If you have the mindset that it will be more fun to make those runs, sounds like for you it won't be an issue. I would agree with getting/making yourself a good trailer that is designed for ATVs, as well as you'll probably end up needing it from time to time. It also sounds like you will really need an ATV or UTV on the farm, so go for it. Worse case is you ultimately find you would prefer an old pickup for the store runs which you can save for and take your time finding the right one.

Reactions: Jssrvlz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts