Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new 2019 Kodiak. Huge difference from my Honda Ranchers. With less than 300 kms on my Kodiak, I was out last week for a ride and ran over a stick which went up between the plastic panel and the skid plate and popped the oil dipstick out. I only noticed after I saw smoke coming from under the machine. I shut the engine down and saw the inside panel covered with oil. From other postings it appears to be a problem. I wish Yamaha would come out with a fix. Should be a fairly simple fix by replacing the dipstick tube with a screw in type. Any body heard of a machine catching fire as a result of the dipstick popping of and splashing oil on the exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
There is always a possibility of a fire when you have hot oil onto a hot exhaust. Haven't heard of one on our machines but who knows.

One thing that you can make sure of is that the dip stick is pushed down into the tube where it takes some effort to pop it out. I really don't see how a stick could get up into that area and hit the dipstick just right to pop it out but then anything is possible with just the right circumstances.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts