Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2017 Kodiak se, really impressed so far. The manual states that the brakes (rear) need to be applied to change gears. This is not the case with my new kodiak, it shifts without the need to apply the brake. I looked at the shift mechanism and the retracting pin is not there, any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my 16 I need to apply the brake to go in and out of Park and Reverse. It will go in and out of High and Low without the brake. If it's not doing what the manual states you might want to call the dealer you bought it from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also have the 2017 SE and just checked it. I can shift it to any gear without it running but it will only START in N or P unless the rear brake is on, then it will start in H L or R with rear brake on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here, I need to apply the rear brake to start in H, L and R. But no need to apply the brake to change gears when running. It appears there is a slight change between the 16 and 17 models regarding the shifting. I took a look at the parts diagrams for both model years and the 2017 does not have the shift interlock cable listed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same here, I need to apply the rear brake to start in H, L and R. But no need to apply the brake to change gears when running. It appears there is a slight change between the 16 and 17 models regarding the shifting. I took a look at the parts diagrams for both model years and the 2017 does not have the shift interlock cable listed.
The starting out of Park is a safety issue and they provide you with the override option- that is to apply the rear brake when you do so.
On the other hand, the changing of gears while you're not at a complete stop will damage your transmission. This machine does not have synchronous gears as cars do.
Even if the shifter is gated and it normally will not allow to jump out of gear and even if some folks remove the shift interlock cable as they see it as an inconvenience changing gears, keep in mind that you'll damage your transmission if trying to shift "on the fly". You can switch "on the fly" from 2x4 to 4x4 if you're moving at a slow and steady pace with no problems.
I don't know what Yamaha did for the 2017 model but ask your dealer about the discrepancy in the manual and your bike.
Good luck! and keep us updated .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the great info, this made me dig a little deeper and this is what I found: Both the 2016 and 2017 owners manuals indicate to apply the rear brake pedal to shift from N to R and R to P, BUT, only the 2016 manual states that the drive lever cannot be shifted without applying the brake pedal (page 6-3). I would like to hear more feedback from new owners, but pretty sure the interlock has been removed for the 2017 model year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts