Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 700 kodiak has 3 hours on it, month or so old. Oil level fine, runs fine, but first 10 seconds or so of a cold (32deg) start, i can hear a "rod" knocking noise or does this sound normal, realizing its hard to discern these things from a video.
Any thoughts? Hopefully this is normal 馃檨

Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
what kind of noise is it, hard to tell in the video? can u describe it? i know its a knocking, might simply be oil not at the top of the engine right away? when did it start?

once it warms up and you restart it, does the knocking come back?

Super Moderator
See if you can isolate the noise. I would be willing to bet that it is the clutches rattling in the belt housing.

If you really have a concern and it only has 3 hours on it take it back to the dealer for them to check it out.

Reactions: Madmax

Registered
Perfectly normal.

I believe it's the wet clutch knocking around a bit cause of the colder weather . It goes away once they warmed up.

Both my 2009 and 2019 grizzlies do it on cold starts. It become more apparent when temperatures get colder

Registered
I agree with all the comments. Mine sounds like that and calms down in about 6 seconds when it is cold. I always let it idle until it quiets down. I tend to think you have no problem other than that big piston rattles kind of hard when cold.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like an connecting rod bearing or a failed lifter, as in auto engines. Once the oil? gets up there it goes away after 10 secs and doesnt come back unless it sits overnight or for hours. It sat for 2 hours yesterday with snow and ice and didnt hear it on restart. Sure hope im wrong.

Didnt think of the clutch, def louder on that side where i videoed, but if its the clutch, wouldnt it do it all the time or longer than 10 secs?

Will try a stethoscope (screwdriver) next time to isolate. Ill have to be quick.

Unfortunately dealer is over an hour away, borrow a truck, take off work, etc, but will if it warrants it. Thanks for your replies! 馃憤

Registered
Sounds like an connecting rod bearing or a failed lifter, as in auto engines. Once the oil? gets up there it goes away after 10 secs and doesnt come back unless it sits overnight or for hours. It sat for 2 hours yesterday with snow and ice and didnt hear it on restart. Sure hope im wrong.

Didnt think of the clutch, def louder on that side where i videoed, but if its the clutch, wouldnt it do it all the time or longer than 10 secs?

Will try a stethoscope (screwdriver) next time to isolate. Ill have to be quick.

Unfortunately dealer is over an hour away, borrow a truck, take off work, etc, but will if it warrants it. Thanks for your replies! 馃憤
Good luck..... Hope you are correct and can prove to us that your engine is in fact blowing up.

Super Moderator
Sounds like a perfectly normal cold start. Typical when there is minimal oil remaining on the moving parts. There is still enough oil film to prebent wear, but not enough to muffle the metal on metal sound.
That is def 3 not the sound of a rod bearing going....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Mine did that as well. It had 6.5 hours on it when I bought it. The noisest engine I've ever had, and I've had many. Sounded like a rod to me as well, a solid knock. It has 20 hours on it now and it's some better, but still the noisiest engine I've ever had.

Registered
I don't think Vincent is hoping your engine is blowing up!
No I certainly don't wish that on anyone... I hoped he would listen to the groups advice, and not invest anymore time, chasing an issue that doesn't exist

Registered
2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE with full Ricochet 10 piece skid plates, warn vr-x 25 winch.
No I certainly don't wish that on anyone... I hoped he would listen to the groups advice, and not invest anymore time, chasing an issue that doesn't exist
Is that sound normal for all yamaha motors? i never heard it that distinct before.

Registered
Is that sound normal for all yamaha motors? i never heard it that distinct before.
Both my 2009 and 2019 grizzlies do it on cold starts. Over on the grizzly cenral forum it's been discussed many times.

Registered
Both my 2009 and 2019 grizzlies do it on cold starts. Over on the grizzly cenral forum it's been discussed many times.
guessing its just pumping the oil to the top of the engine when it makes that sound when cold?

Registered
guessing its just pumping the oil to the top of the engine when it makes that sound when cold?
It's not from the top of the engine, it's from the clutch area

1 - 15 of 15 Posts