Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using my Kodiak 700 on a Massachusetts beach to move my 14" boat and trailer in loose sand. Got bogged down easily with the stock tires the ATV came with. Want to change to more appropriate beach/sand tires. Will the

Maxxis Cheng Shin - 25X12-9
be a good choice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
There are so many tire options and opinions. This should be an exciting thread! Lol! It will depend a lot on your terrain, riding style, expectations, and budget. I might suggest Rocky Mountain ATV as a place to read reviews and look at options. I went with 6-ply radials, Interco Reptiles. I haven’t found anything they can’t do yet. Overall, quite happy with them!
Expect good reviews on Zillas, Growlers, Sedona tires, and HTR’s.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
The tire you selected would not be in a Top 10. What type of riding are you anticipating?

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
The tire you selected would not be in a Top 10. What type of riding are you anticipating?
He said it in his first post.

Loose sand pulling a boat around

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Your best choice for loose sand will either be s chevron tread, like a tractor tire, such as most mud lugs like a zilla, or the other option will be a bar/paddle style more like the bighorn tires. The tic is to get a led aggressive v lug or a bar, yet still get a decent lug depth. You want traction, but not so much traction that you just dig straight down. You need a tire that can bite yet maintain enough flotation to allow the next lug to bite forward.
I would suggest looking into a maxxis bighorn or a kenda bearclaw og or htr. I love my reptiles, but there are tires more suited to sand than them.
Sand is like driving in loose mealy sugar snow. Harder than it looks. Mud lites were terrible in that snow so i would rule them out, a flatter V lug, less steep, or a paddle is going to be what you keep your eye open for.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andymac57

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just a few articles that may help you out, you’ll defiantly want a high floatation tire. Good luck and let us know what you go with .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! Superb info based on a lot of experience! Glad I was referred to this site and glad to be in the company of so many experts! Ride Safe!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Those tires you selected are designed for turf. I would think that the stock tire tread pattern would be good for sand. Maybe you just need a bigger/wider size.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Rob-C provided some great sand-dune tires. If you wanted an all-terrain that was good in sand, but also a workhorse tire, maybe a Sedona Buzz Saw. Might be kinda heavy. You may prefer the paddles.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Rob-C provided some great sand-dune tires. If you wanted an all-terrain that was good in sand, but also a workhorse tire, maybe a Sedona Buzz Saw. Might be kinda heavy. You may prefer the paddles.
Like you said, weight may be an issue with them, but the tread pattern would work very well as it's basically a bar/paddle style tread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JD864 - You came to the rescue with your superb advice of where to shop and what to shop for: "Rocky Mountain ATV as a place to read reviews and look at options. I went with 6-ply radials, Interco Reptiles." I purchased and they arrived the other day. I went with the widest they provide. Installed them, and WOW!!! What an amazing difference! Yes heavier for sure, but now able to tackle the sand and anything else!!! Thanks again to everyone who gave advice!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
JD864 - You came to the rescue with your superb advice of where to shop and what to shop for: "Rocky Mountain ATV as a place to read reviews and look at options. I went with 6-ply radials, Interco Reptiles." I purchased and they arrived the other day. I went with the widest they provide. Installed them, and WOW!!! What an amazing difference! Yes heavier for sure, but now able to tackle the sand and anything else!!! Thanks again to everyone who gave advice!!!
Congrats! That just made my day! :)
Would love to see some pics of your setup. Those Reptiles are incredible compared to stock. If you want a little more power, several of us can walk you through some very simple CVT mods to get a few more RPM’s going - all stock Yamaha parts.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Well you got some great tires.... But I may be a little bias with my opinion. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts