Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a new Kodiak 450 EPS bike and I'm wondering what other opinions are on the Y.E.S warranty?

It seems worth the cost ($450) for 4 years... always been a Honda guy but opted for more features with the Yamaha this time...

Super Moderator
Warranties are a gamble you are betting that something will go wrong that the dealer will fix and they are betting something won't.

I don't like them on a ATV just for the reason that you never ride them enough to get to a point that you actually might need one past the normal 6 month one. I myself put a lot of miles and hours on my Kodiak 700 in the first couple of months that I owned it with zero problems as most on here do.

So if you are betting that something major will go wrong then that $450 is money well spent, if nothing happens in those 4 years then you might wonder why you gave them your hard earned money.

Registered
When I bought my Kodiak I had the option of extending the warranty or getting a winch . . . I went with the extended warranty simply because in all of the years I've been riding I haven't had to use a winch very often (and when I do I usually use a tow strap or someone else's winch as I mostly ride with other folks.)

For the record . . . I also went with Yamaha after being a long time Honda fan since the Yamaha offered more of what I wanted at a better price point . . . and the Kodiak was pretty much exactly the machine I was looking at -- a machine geared more for work, but very capable on the trail. The Honda line up offered the Rincon which was more money and more of a trail machine or a Rubicon or Foreman which were set up more for work, had less features and smaller engines. In the end I opted to take a chance on Yamaha.

Registered
I've been down both roads... I've gone with the winch and only used it a handful of times (but glad I had it)... AND... I've gone with the extended warranty and never used it. Unfortunately, I think the extended warranty works in the favor of the dealer/manufacturer and not the owner (kinda like that 200,000 mile warranty on your car... really? who keeps their car that long?). It's a judgment call.

Registered
I've been down both roads... I've gone with the winch and only used it a handful of times (but glad I had it)... AND... I've gone with the extended warranty and never used it. Unfortunately, I think the extended warranty works in the favor of the dealer/manufacturer and not the owner (kinda like that 200,000 mile warranty on your car... really? who keeps their car that long?). It's a judgment call.

Hehheh . . that would have been me with my last car . . . a 2003 Honda Accord coupe. When I sold it I think it had 203,000+ miles on the odometer. Decent car, but I was looking for something a little more reliable as I had a couple minor issues that made me think it was time to replace it. Of course the warranty had expired well before this point.

Registered
Hehheh . . that would have been me with my last car . . . a 2003 Honda Accord coupe. When I sold it I think it had 203,000+ miles on the odometer. Decent car, but I was looking for something a little more reliable as I had a couple minor issues that made me think it was time to replace it. Of course the warranty had expired well before this point.
I stand corrected. I'm envious, I've never owned anything that long. The only reason I've been in my job this long is because I own it :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts