Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 1st atv and it was a Yamaha 700 eps, Ordered a complete aluminum set of plates and am wondering if there is anything else that should be done or suggestions .

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Welcome to the site.

As for what else? A lot will depend on the type of riding that you plan on doing.

There are quite a few modifications that can be done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well mostly trails might get into some mud still debating if I want to get a rad relocation kit and a snorkel . I heard the suspension needs work and I am a BIGGER guy. I saw the
Grabber” Diff lock kit for Kodiak 700’s Just figured I ask around and see what people do before I experimenting and spend more time in the shop than riding.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Didn't your EPS come with the diff lock?

As for the 501 Parts diff lock, I installed one on my base model and taking my time it only took me a little over a day. But if you worked on it with no interruptions you could quite likely get it installed in 5 or 6 hours. The install requires you to completely disassemble the whole front end on both sides to get the front diff out of the frame. Then it only takes a few minutes to put the locker in and then you are back to putting everything back together.

As for other modifications you can do clutch weights, upgrade the air filter, winch, snow plow, light bars, injector tuning, and a lot of other things. As they say "all it takes is money"

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well there’s lots of mods one can do, check out my signature for what I’ve done on my 700 . my last 2 mods will be a 501 diff lock and then Elka shocks. I hit as much mud as I can on the trail, it’s therapeutic.. if I could recommend a first mod I would do shims and a spring for about $30 and maybe a hour or 2 off your time it’s a low buck high gain mod. Ps I’m 6-3 270 so I’m no little guy either.
Oh and by the way welcome..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked and for some reason came up short about the Diff lock question on the 2020 . Hopefully I can pick it up by Sat and go up to NH. Any tips for the Break In period? I read about it and planned on doing what they recommend as I want this toy to last a long time.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
For the break in just moderate your speed. Don't hold it at one speed for too long and don't see how fast it will go.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma, As far as the mods go everyone is different. Im not a mud lover so I did things for the hills and trails. there are so may options but the common upgrade is gonna be the clutch components. Springs, weights and shims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will a plow fit on with the full aluminum skid plates? During winter I am going to plow my shops parking lot.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My warn plow mount went right over the stock skid plate so it should the aluminum ones also. Can’t speak for other brands. And mine is a center mount underneath. A front mount is another option and that wouldn’t be an issue either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do I need to put bigger tires on this thing? Will they fit stock rims or do I need new rims lift kit etc?

·
Registered
528 Posts
What do I need to put bigger tires on this thing? Will they fit stock rims or do I need new rims lift kit etc?
You can put bigger tires on the stock rims. I went 1” taller at 26” and 1” wider all the way around. Some guys have installed 27” tires on there Kodiak’s just fine, but you may have to do some clutch mods to compensate for larger tires

·
Registered
528 Posts
I recommend you do a search here for all of the tire threads, lots of good information. The type of tire you want depends on what your primary use will be, the kind of riding you do and the terrain. I went with Maxxis Zillas, because most of this state is sand and mud and thats what they are designed for. Also they are a very light weight tire for being a 6ply. They are also awesome in the snow and I do a lot of plowing.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've got 27" Zillas on the stock rims with no clutch mods. Any bigger and I think you'll be looking at a lift kit which I personally wouldn't put on an My machine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just created a thread on the tires upgrade for my 2020 Kodiak EPS I ordered my tires in size 26". I don't plan on doing any clutch modes right now may be if I see the need at a later stage. I will post pics of the before and after with new tires this week when they are here and I get them installed. I am not in the boat where biggest is the best. I think 26" and wider tires should look killer without taxing the machine and requiring all the clutch mods. On my 2020 Grizzly XT-R I am planning on going size up as well from 27" zilla square setup to 28" square setup only because of sizing availability in the tire I want to run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts