Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be trading a Harley tomorrow for a 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS in camo. Has a lift kit, new anodized aluminum wheels with aggressive tread, and a light bar on the front. Pretty nice 4 wheeler with less than 20 hrs (Purchased in late May.) I might like a rear box for storage. I have already checked out that thread. Not sure if a winch would be necessary.

I am new to the Yamaha world, so any advice on maintenance or tips in general will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I may be trading a Harley tomorrow for a 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS in camo. Has a lift kit, new anodized aluminum wheels with aggressive tread, and a light bar on the front. Pretty nice 4 wheeler with less than 20 hrs (Purchased in late May.) I might like a rear box for storage. I have already checked out that thread. Not sure if a winch would be necessary.

I am new to the Yamaha world, so any advice on maintenance or tips in general will be appreciated.
Nice! A winch isn't necassry until you really need one.Lol! Your gonna love that machine. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,656 Posts
The first time you have to dig it out with a pack shovel or have to depend on someone else to get you unstuck you will wish that you had the winch. The only problem with a winch is that they are always mounted on the front of the vehicle and you usually get stuck going forward and need to be pulled backwards. I have seen a few with winches mounted on the rear where they should really be.

Too bad that you are trading the Harley even if it is for a nice ATV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The first time you have to dig it out with a pack shovel or have to depend on someone else to get you unstuck you will wish that you had the winch. The only problem with a winch is that they are always mounted on the front of the vehicle and you usually get stuck going forward and need to be pulled backwards. I have seen a few with winches mounted on the rear where they should really be.

Too bad that you are trading the Harley even if it is for a nice ATV.
I went with a KFI 3500. Probably an over kill but I tend to over due everything. I due carry a large ratchet strap in my rear box in case I ever need to pull backwards. May not do much but better than nothing. I don't go looking for trouble but things happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,656 Posts
In all my years of riding a ATV I have only used mine a few times. Once was when I hit a bog hole and I mean a bog hole. All 4 tires were churning up gray mud with no bottom and the nearest thing to winch to was some rocks behind me and off to one side. I have to run the winch line up and over the rack to get to them to get out. Then there were the other times that I would get stuck on purpose trying to make it through snow drifts. But since then I pack around 200' of flat rope that utilities use to pull cable. That stuff comes in real handy and not just for the winch line extension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Actually had a 05 Springer but I hadn't ridden it much in several years as I now ride a RoadKing. Hated to see it go, but it was just sitting around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually had a 05 Springer but I hadn't ridden it much in several years as I now ride a RoadKing. Hated to see it go, but it was just sitting around.
My dad had a full dress Harley that he LOVED. Ended up selling for a convertible. I went the Goldwing route (affectionately known as the couch rocket). I hung up the motorcycle after being cutoff one too many times. I can't imagine riding a motorcycle on the road these days. Too many distracted drivers that can't see my fire engine red pickup much less a motorcycle.

Nice wheeler! I'm sure you'll have a blast with that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts