Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned and worked on several Honda and polaris wheelers, but recently just picked up a 2000 Kodiak 400 4x4 and so far it's been awesome.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan! What part of the state are you in? I'm north of the twins.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
I loved my 2000 Kodiak and would still have it today if I didn't see a problem coming up with it. It either had a cracked ring or a piston problem that I really didn't want to fix. Other than that I put more miles on that machine than I can remember and it never failed me. I was on the fifth set of tires when I sold it last year.

Does yours have the speedometer/odometer on it? If not there is a kit that you an put in yourself that gives you that factory look. If I remember right I only paid around $100 for it way back in 2001 or 2002 and if they still have it it shouldn't be much more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm from SW MN so not much trail riding around here. So far I really like the quad, it has a low range that will pull just about anything, the adjustable shocks and having disk breaks all around are really nice.

Mine doesn't have a speedometer, i did see a kit online but would need to buy the dash plate as well to house the pod. Just not sure if it's worth it or not.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
The speedometer is actually a kit put together by Yamaha for the 2000 model year. It is the same meter that is on the 2001+ years of the model.

Here is the part number 5GH-W0081-00-00 It is a little bit more costly than when I purchased it back in 2002. Just doing a quick google search on it came up with prices from $90 all the way up to $160

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the number I found one on Ebay for $75, just not sure it's worth it for a speedometer and an hour meter. I might put on 20 hours a year. I do need to get a new fuel gauge since the indicator needle is broke on this one.

Also does anyone know the wheel offset for the rear wheels? I put on a new set of rears off a Kawasaki brute force and the offset is slightly different (the brake caliper assembly rubs just slightly on the rim). My guess is that the Kodiak rim is a 4+3 and the brute force is a 2+5?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Kodiak 400 for my daughter. Initially, it felt smaller in size than the 2018 Kodiak 450 my wife drives, but I can't tell any difference in power. Looking forward to some family fun in the forest. See you on the trails someday!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You should check out the MN SE trail it starts at the town of Stockton, and there's the snake creek ATV trail all great fun not to far from you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pablo, have you driven any of the trails around Itasca state park or the Paul Bunyan State forest at all? Thinking of doing a end of September trip up there to Grouse hunt and trail ride.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pablo, have you driven any of the trails around Itasca state park or the Paul Bunyan State forest at all? Thinking of doing a end of September trip up there to Grouse hunt and trail ride.
I've not ridden out that direction yet. My father-in-law lives near Leech Lake and the Reservation so we've been riding near Remer, Outing and Emily (Moose River and Moose River Connector mainly) and a little time on Red Top near Isle. Planning a trip with all the kids (4) to the Gilbert OHV Park in a couple weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts