Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
New guy from KY just checking in to say hello. Recently purchased a new 2016 Kodiak base model for use while hunting, but got to say this thing is a blast to ride. Been using a SxS for several years but this atv is much easier to navigate the tight trails. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this site. Looking forward to gaining some new ideas for mods and such. So far I've added a 12 in LED light bar and a Warn winch. Good day!

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Kodiak family I think that you will really like your new ride.

A couple of things that you might want to check out. I also have a base model and found that they do not include guards for the CV joints, so if you are like me and hit some bushy areas you might want to get a set for the front and rear of the machine. I just picked up some front and rear guards from a dealer and installed them.

You will also find out there are other things that are included on the higher end Kodiak's that yours doesn't have. For the most part if you want to keep your Kodiak with factory items the parts from the other models will bolt right onto your machine. My biggest gripe were the CV guards and no odometer/hour meter so that I could keep track of when to do the service. I went with a Trail Tech computer that has a odometer, speedometer, hour meter and a few other things on it. I'm just waiting for it to show up to install it but it is on a back order status right now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Kodiak family I think that you will really like your new ride.

A couple of things that you might want to check out. I also have a base model and found that they do not include guards for the CV joints, so if you are like me and hit some bushy areas you might want to get a set for the front and rear of the machine. I just picked up some front and rear guards from a dealer and installed them.

You will also find out there are other things that are included on the higher end Kodiak's that yours doesn't have. For the most part if you want to keep your Kodiak with factory items the parts from the other models will bolt right onto your machine. My biggest gripe were the CV guards and no odometer/hour meter so that I could keep track of when to do the service. I went with a Trail Tech computer that has a odometer, speedometer, hour meter and a few other things on it. I'm just waiting for it to show up to install it but it is on a back order status right now.
Which Trail Tech did you decide on? I had a base model Rhino at one time and replaced the dash lights with a digital display that plugged right in. Wonder if the handlebar light with display is plug and play on the base model. Definitely need to get the CV guards.

Registered
I tore a rear inner cv boot second time I had my new bike out. Was not happy I had to tear a new rear end apart to replace a boot for the simple reason yamaha was to cheap to put guards on when they built it

Super Moderator
I got the Striker Stealth kit, now if it ever gets here. It has been on back order for a couple of months now.

The boot guards are a must have and I can't believe that they didn't come with them and I mentioned it in my review that Yamaha sent to me so hopefully enough owners did the same thing and perhaps they will include them in the future along with at least a hour meter.

Here are the part numbers for the CV boot guards if you order them on line.

Cover, Thrust 1
Item: 1HP-F2128-00-00

Cover, Thrust 2
Item: 1HP-F2129-00-00

Cover, Under 1
Item: 1HP-F3123-00-00

Cover, Lower 2
Item: 1HP-F3133-00-00

They also sell the bolt and nylon lock nut that goes with them but you can source them cheaper locally. The only thing special with the bolt is that it is a recessed allen head bolt similar to your fender bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts