Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I did my due diligence and searched the threads looking for an answer. I need some help.

I have a 2018 Kodiak 700 EPS SE

After a long winter my battery went dead. I bought a new battery and when I connected the negative terminal I saw a small spark by the EPS Fuse. It's a 40amp fuse that blew and I replaced it.

Well...now I get no power to the atv. Turn the key, nothing on the dash. I checked all of the other fuses and they seem to be okay.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!

Super Moderator
I would check the fuses again and make sure that they are good. Use a meter if you need to.

Did you connect the battery correctly? I know that sounds stupid but it happens

Reactions: RedRocket

Grizzled Mod
@JimP i鈥檇 agree that it sounds like the battery terminals were connected wrong but just seems like it would be more difficult to do.

@mike37270 have you replaced any other parts recently?

Super Moderator
I agree it is highly unlikely but I was trying to figure out why it would of thrown a spark and blew a fuse.

I managed to do that on a old Big Bear when I tried to jump start it and had the terminals reversed due to a wiring problem on the good battery. I didn't look for the + or - on the battery just the cable colors, the owner had them reversed.

Reactions: RedRocket

Grizzled Mod
I agree it is highly unlikely but I was trying to figure out why it would of thrown a spark and blew a fuse.
exactly, was thinking the same and is the reasoning behind my asking OP is other parts have been changed. I recall reading where someone replaced the starter relay with a non-OEM part and the starter relay terminals were reversed. Just one more reason to always use OEM for critical replacement parts.

Super Moderator
Not trying to call you stupid or anything but does your new battery have acid in it? If it's a cheaper lead acid battery they are shipped safety with a separate container of battery acid and electrolyte mix to be dumped into the battery and then put on charge for 4 hours or more. It wouldn't be the first time that I have heard of a parts store employee selling a battery without adding the contents of the electrolyte jug and charging it or letting the customer charge it. Just something to consider. If it was an empty battery and you connected it, there's a very good possibility that any stray voltage that may have still been in any capacitors in the electronics on the bike and blowing that fuse resulting in the spark you saw.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimP
1 - 6 of 6 Posts