Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, bought a brand new 450se about a month ago. My first NEW and first 4x4 wheeler. Myself and the fiance have been having a blast on it, getting close to the first service interval.

When break-in is complete I'll be putting 27" tires on it, adding shims, installing a stock looking aftermarket exhaust tip and an attitude box fuel controller. I'm hoping that between the shims, tip, and fueling I'll have negated the power loss from the bigger diggers.

The 27"s will probably rub, if wheel spacers/pre-load adjustments dont eliminate it I'll be looking to lift it in a fashion that retains its factory la-z-boy like ride quality. Seems like my best bet there would be to find longer shocks sourced from something of similar size/weight. Are there "go-to's" for longer shocks already?

Thanks for having me. I'm hoping to add to the seemingly under-served knowledge base for the '18+ 450s. Doesn't seem to be a dedicated forum or even sub-forum for the plucky little machines anywhere.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome. The ELKA'S are routinely referenced as the top rated shocks. No experience with them myself.

Reactions: Blmpkn

·
Registered
514 Posts
First nice 450 and yes this forum needs a 450 section . Second I don’t think 27’s will rub. I ran 26’s on my 400 kodiak and had plenty of room. Also you didn’t mention a secondary spring, plans for this with shims ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First nice 450 and yes this forum needs a 450 section . Second I don’t think 27’s will rub. I ran 26’s on my 400 kodiak and had plenty of room. Also you didn’t mention a secondary spring, plans for this with shims ?

I'm thinking (hoping) I'll be happy with just the shims. Between lowering the cvt ratio and the larger tires my overall ratio will end up staying more or less "factory".. .010 UNDER factory actually.

The larger 6 plys will weigh more than the stock 2plys, affecting performance, but that's where the tuner and exhaust mods come in.

Well see what happens. I'd probably put some lighter weights in before I do a spring.. All depends how she rides.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm thinking (hoping) I'll be happy with just the shims. Between lowering the cvt ratio and the larger tires my overall ratio will end up staying more or less "factory".. .010 UNDER factory actually.

The larger 6 plys will weigh more than the stock 2plys, affecting performance, but that's where the tuner and exhaust mods come in.

Well see what happens. I'd probably put some lighter weights in before I do a spring.. All depends how she rides.
She's a beauty!

Shims is a great way to start! After lighter weights is also a good idea.

I would definitely agree to start with those. Then " if" required upgrade the spring....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You can put as much shims as will permit you to have full cam plate engagement on the drive shaft splines.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can put as much shims as will permit you to have full cam plate engagement on the drive shaft splines.
I was under the impression that shimming past 1.5mm or so would cause the primary to rub on its cover?

My cvt tuning experience is rather limited.

Obviously shimming reduces the overall cvt ratio, lighter weights act more or less like a higher stall torque converter.. Run me through the idea behind the stiffer spring? It doesn't allow the secondary to open/"shift" up as soon correct? I know moped guys install stiffer springs to help "downshift" faster while going up hills and stuff.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here you go..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks rob, that was more or less what I had remembered from my brief scooter days lol.

We're at least a couple weeks out from bigger tires & other mods but I'll update when things start happening!

Reactions: Rob-c
1 - 9 of 9 Posts