Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Picked up my new leftover 2018 Kodiak 700 3 weeks ago at a screamin deal by NY standards. Put a Terra 35 winch on it (tight fit) and ricochet front and rear a arm guards. Did an oil change after the first tank, mobil 1 10w 40.

My other utility is an '01 Artcic cat 300 4x4. Still going strong. But man is the Kodiak a far more superior machine in every single manner (except for low speed work tasks, and we'll see about reliability...)

Also have an '08 Raptor 250 and an '02 CR250r.

Looking forward to many fun adventures on this machine.

Super Moderator
Congrats on the new machine

For lower speed work task I believe that I would put it into low gear and go for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new machine

For lower speed work task I believe that I would put it into low gear and go for it.
I doubt this machine will be bad at anything. Low range is good enough. I grew up on geared machines though. Steady throttle applications, like spraying, it's had to argue for the benefits of CVT. Trail riding and many other applications, I can see the advantages.

Registered
Getting a belt drive quad was a big concern for me, but the Yamaha belt setup never slips (like all the rest) so the belt lasts a very long time.
If after you break it in and if you want to really work the crap out of it look into the wet slug kit for the wet clutch. The little brass weights make the clutch lock up much quicker, and the clutch will hold even better as the rpm's go up.
And use low gear for the slow or great load stuff.
This video is very old, and I buy my clutch stuff from JBS Racing, but this guy invented it and it gives a little history on why it was needed.
Here is a clip from JBS.
Wet clutch portion starts at the 33.24 minute mark.

Registered
Hi All,

Picked up my new leftover 2018 Kodiak 700 3 weeks ago at a screamin deal by NY standards. Put a Terra 35 winch on it (tight fit) and ricochet front and rear a arm guards. Did an oil change after the first tank, mobil 1 10w 40.

My other utility is an '01 Artcic cat 300 4x4. Still going strong. But man is the Kodiak a far more superior machine in every single manner (except for low speed work tasks, and we'll see about reliability...)

Also have an '08 Raptor 250 and an '02 CR250r.

Looking forward to many fun adventures on this machine.

Congrats on your new Kodiak!

Getting a belt drive quad was a big concern for me, but the Yamaha belt setup never slips (like all the rest) so the belt lasts a very long time.
Suzuki and Artic cat Atvs utilize the same or simular constant belt tension design as Yamaha. Polaris, Kawasaki and Can Am do not.

Reactions: Primethious
1 - 5 of 5 Posts