Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Kodiak 700 base model and looking for a few add on s. Does anyone have any recommendations for digital lcd meter like the other 700s have? I am also looking for handguards and maybe change up the lights to a different color.

thank you

Super Moderator
If you are looking for a dash like the SE and upper levels your best bet is to find a wrecked Kodiak with them so that you can get all the wiring and all the rest that is needed.

I put a Trail Tech Striker onto mine and it works fine. It even has more information than the factory one has. I did a custom install by making a bracket out of some 2" angle iron and mounted it on the plastic between the handle bars.

For hand guards check the Moose site for them.

Which lights do you want to change the color on? The headlights work quite well but some have changed them out to brighter ones.

Registered
Powermadd star series hanguards are what I have on mine. As for the lights, piaa makes a bulb to replace the h6m in the Kodiak but I have not tried them.

Super Moderator
If you are wondering what my aftermarket gauge set up looks like here is a picture.

Registered

Registered
Jim, that is very impressive, can I asked how much it cost? Also you are very talented to get that installed, and I like the way is sits up better than the factory.

Super Moderator
I got the meter from Summit Racing but they no longer stock it. You can get it off of the Trail Tech site for $149. They also offer other meters for bikes and ATV's and you can take your pick of what you want. This one has the speedometer/odometer, trip odometer, total mileage, trip time, total time, coolant temperature, outside ambient temperature, clock, and a few other items.

https://www.trailtech.net/striker

To install it isn't that hard, I actually got the idea of using the angle iron from a member here on the site. I cut it to size and then cut a notch in it to attach it to the meter. I then put it into a vice and bent it from a 90 degree angle to about a 60 degree one. To mount it to the plastic cover you need to butcher the cover a little on the underside since it has bracing in that area but with a drill it didn't take too long. The fun part was the line down to the front wheel for the speedometer/odometer. My first try I had it touching the exhaust and ended up melting the wire. For my second try I got a extension wire from Trail Tech and cut and spliced it back together and ended up with a longer lead. They have a magnetic bolt that goes into the brake rotor and then the contact sensor that when the magnet passes the sensor trips a switch which then tells you your speed.

It helps if you have some imagination on installing it but overall it worked pretty good. I may pull it off sometime and modify it a little but it works fine the way that it sits right now.

I did have one problem with the meter when I was in a 3 day downpour rainstorm down in Arizona. Somehow some moisture got inside it and fogged up the lens. But it was still under the 1 year warranty and I contacted Trail Tech and they sent me a new one. I asked how to ship the old one back to them and the told me to keep it. So now I have a backup is the one fails. You can't beat that for customer service.

Reactions: jukemaster

Super Moderator

Registered
I bought the Sentinels too, haven't installed them yet.
how do you like the mirrors? do you find it easy to notice a bike coming up behind you since they are only like 2" diameter ?
I haven't rode with anyone so they haven't really been used yet.

Not sure if they changed the shape of the mirror but mine are small and domed so you would need to pay attention as things back there appear very small.

I still tend to look around anyway, but they may come in handy one day.

Originally I was setting the bike up for street legal use and it was going to run about a thousand bucks for the street use taxes, but they wouldn't let you ride on just any back road so I said to **** with that.

Registered
Jim, that is very interesting, glad it went well. You did not say much about wiring it in, that seems like it might be a challenge? Thanks for the input.

Super Moderator
Jim, that is very interesting, glad it went well. You did not say much about wiring it in, that seems like it might be a challenge? Thanks for the input.

It only requires a ground and a hot tied into the battery. The wheel speed sensor has a cable that will run up to the meter, likewise for the coolant temperature sensor. The coolant sensor does require a small section to be cut out of the upper radiator hose but that is it. It also has a battery in the unit for it's memory which they recommend to be replaced yearly. All the leads come out of the meter with plugs on them where you can plug in the other cables. It is really quite simple to install. My only recommendation would be to get a longer extension cable for the speed sensor, then you can route it completely away from any problem area. But the stock one will work.

It is a real good design for those of us that want a meter.

Registered
Thanks for the info! I would be very comfortable doing it if I needed it. My first Kodiak did not have it, but the new one does.

Registered
I have the trail tech striker on a 2016 kodiak and it has performed flawlessly for me. I've had my battery cable bolt come loose a couple of times and the volt meter caught it right away. The temp gauge is sensitive and accurate. I was afraid of breaking the rotor bolt on the front wheel to put the speed sensor magnet on because it is put on so tight, so I glued it to the rotor with 3m white marine paste.That stuff holds under water and is permanent!

Super Moderator
Let me know if you have any questions on the install, but it is really quite simple.

The mounts is where I had the most fun. I didn't want to just clamp it to the handle bars with the parts that they included with the kit.

Super Moderator
Here is a picture of the mount that I made out of a piece of 2" angle iron.

Reactions: Primethious
1 - 17 of 17 Posts