Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched YouTube to no real avail. Nobody changes the rotors.

Well at 700 miles mine are shot! Grooved to **** from, I guess riding way too long without replacing the pads.

In any event, I've gone ahead and ordered pads and rotors but I can't figure out how to get the rotor off. I've gotten as far as getting the caliper assembly off but didn't work out how to remove the pads yet either.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
It really is a piece of cake to do them without a how to.

First you are going to need a 6mm allen head wrench that will go into the end of a 3/8" ratchet. Don't even try to use the standard L shape one.

You will also need a socket to fit onto the hub nut and according to my manual you need to change out the nut, it is a one time shot with it. A center punch help since there is a indent on the nut that holds it in place.

The order to take the rotor off is to break the hub nut loose while the tire is still on the ground. You might need someone to hold the front brakes on.

Once the nut is loose remove the tire. Then using the 6mm allen head wrench break loose the hold down bolts on the caliper and remove them. Then use some wire to hold the caliper up in the air while you do the other work.

Once the caliper is off you can now remove the rotor. I can't remember if you can get to the allen head bolts with it on the bike or not but there are 4 of them that you will need to remove to remove the rotor.

Installation is just backwards but use some blue LocTite on the allen head bolts on both the rotor and caliper when going back together.

Also as I mentioned the hub nut is a one time use according to the manuals.

Here are some screen shots of the process. Sorry I would need to go through a hour process to get them to a PDF file.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds way over my head. I doubt I'm even going to attempt it but is the hub nut a common part available at auto part stores?

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
It would be from a Yamaha dealer but not a auto parts store.

It really isn't that bad if you have a few tools to do it. As I mentioned you need a allen head wrench that can go onto a ratchet. All you will do with a L shaped one is strip the head out. If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell a set of them for very little. If you have to go to a place like Autozone or NAPA it will be quite a bit more but then they also sell just one at a time but that way it can get expensive. You will also need a torque wrench for the reassembly.

I can usually have the hub and rotor off is less than10 minutes. But then I have the correct tools to do the job.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
The part number for the nut is90179-20016-00

I usually order parts from Sports Plaza out of Oregon but if you have a local shop they should be able to help you.

I also usually try and do my maintenance once a year so that I can order all the parts at once and then go to working on it once they get here.

If you want to try to get the nut off you can reuse it, it is just that the manual says that it is a one time item. But if you have to order it I would just try the repair and see how far you can go. You will see the indent on the flange of the nut when you pull the wheel cap off.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
I have just been looking at some videos and can't find one that shows how to remove the rotor. I also notice that the caliper is held on by hex bolts but you still need that 6mm allen head wrench for the removal of the pads.

One of the videos shows where they were having problems removing the rotor from the hub and he couldn't get one of the bolts out but with a newer machine you shouldn't have any problems if you attempt it. If it is a little bit suborn then some liquid wrench would help out.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Just so that you know and want to search the videos all the front brake assemblies on Yamaha ATV's are close enough to being the same thing that you don't have to search for just a Kodiak 700.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just so that you know and want to search the videos all the front brake assemblies on Yamaha ATV's are close enough to being the same thing that you don't have to search for just a Kodiak 700.

Yes I figured that. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts