Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so bike bike started making click sound from rear , I fully got diff rebuilt sound was still there , then I put all new bearings and bushings in rear , sound still there , I put a new driveshaft & axels sounds still there , checked clutch over and installed new belt sounds still there, it sounds like it’s coming from right rear and it’s loud like metal on metal sound !! But everything’s new could it be the trans ??!! So lost at this point and I got over

·
Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
2,247 Posts
Have you put the Kodiak up on some jack stands and then slowly rotated the rear tires listening to see if you can tell just where it is coming from?

A automotive stethoscope may help or even a long screwdriver with the blade held against different parts and the handle on your ear will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you put the Kodiak up on some jack stands and then slowly rotated the rear tires listening to see if you can tell just where it is coming from?

A automotive stethoscope may help or even a long screwdriver with the blade held against different parts and the handle on your ear will work.
the thing is , the bike does not make the sound without load ! U can have it on the Jack’s all U want will not make sound sound as the bike get loads on it sound comes , sounds like right rear u can feel it when u touch the axel how the bikes spinning in snow making the sound but the diff feels not to bad no sounds by the clutch or front of bike all rear and seems to be rear right but everything was replaced

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
Try with all 4 tires up off of the ground and see what happens.

If you get it narrowed down to the rear you could always pull both rear axles and put it back down onto the ground and move it to see what happens.

You are in a area that unless someone has had the same problem you are going to have to figure it out on your own, all we can do is to offer suggestion on how to check something.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
664 Posts
Is there any chance your rear brake is stuck / dragging? Causing it to chatter? The foot lever is known to gum up and need cleaning

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any chance your rear brake is stuck / dragging? Causing it to chatter? The foot lever is known to gum up and need cleaning
I don’t think it’s the rear breaks I’ve actually had a fully rebuilt diff in the bike breaks were good and then I baught a 2nd hand diff thinking the rebuilt diff was making the noise

·
Registered
716 Posts
Any wear marks on the spindle from the axle or differential etc ? How did the old and new bearing’s come out and go into spindle ? Easy or hard ? Have you greased the upper and lower A-arm pivot bolts that goes through the spindle ?

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
I have a 07 700 Grizzly same problem
My guess would be a bad CV axle joint.

Check out this thread:

Reactions: rancherMike
1 - 12 of 12 Posts