Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we rode aoaa in p.a. over the weekend and the terrain is about as varied as one can get.

Rocks- We had loose rocks the size of volley balls to base balls that we were driving over and some were on steep hills. I only noticed a couple times when the big lugs had to spin a bit to find some grip ( this was on some pretty steep trails in low in 2wd) All in all they did well on the rocks , I found no chunks or pieces of tread missing after 2 days of riding . I was rather surprised and pleased .

Packed sand / loose dirt -we rode a scenic trail that they had just ran the bulldozer over to widen for jeeps and had cut new intersections. We rode up a very very steep new cut trail that was loose dirt and roots. This part I had it in 4 low as you could see others had spun it up pretty good trying to go up it. Gave the big bear a nice constant throttle the entire way and walked her right up. So again for a big lug tire it grabbed and didn’t spin.

Mud - So for moderate mud tire these things dig, I hit probably 12-15 true mud holes (thick mud not the watery mud puddle holes ) so in 2wd low my forward progress stoped In a few . So I backed out put her in 4wd ( no diff lock yet) and proceed to power my way through. There were 3 I didn’t make it out the other side they were deeeep, but I did successfully back the bear out so the wildthangs have good grip in reverse.

Slick logs - we had a few 6-8 inch diameter logs to go over , you know the ones that are slick from 100’s of tires going over them. I had one instance where the quad went a bit side ways on a angled log until a lug caught and pulled me over, this was in 2wd. So not bad , I kinda expected this to happen but it was only one time the others I drove right over.

General trail manners - aoaa is a old coal mining operation that they opened to trail riding so there’s some roads that are 30-40 ft wide, not smooth but not trail rough either. I gave the kodiak a few spirited romps on these roads and had it to about 40 and for a 27 inch tall tire it handled well as I was goofing around going side to side.
All in all I am very pleased with these tires. I also want to give a shout out to the original k299 bear claws I run them on my 3 other kodiaks and my wife has 26 inchers on her 700 and she followed me everywhere with no problem except the peanut butter mud holes ,she stays out of them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Excellent revue! Post pix of your bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
613 Posts
Can we have a closer look at your bike with fancy tires?

They look like revised version of Zillas

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can we have a closer look at your bike with fancy tires?

They look like revised version of Zillas

CST bought Maxxis tire some time ago and they are kinda sorta similar tire, the wildthangs have a bit different tread , higher ply count and weight rating.

·
Registered
613 Posts
They look pretty good

Link to tire wildthang weights by size.

Wow they are light!

My 26x9 Growler weigh 29lbs and
26x11 weigh 37 lbs....

Reactions: fossil

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They look pretty good

Link to tire wildthang weights by size.

I weighed mine and they’re a bit heavier than stated,I got 27 front 32 rear. Still light for a 28 inch 10 & 12 wide tire that is a bit short 27.5 inflated height .
I was actually going between zillas , mayhems and wildthangs all similar. I landed on the wildthings because they seem to be a tougher tire than zillas but lighter than the mayhems.

Reactions: Vincent and fossil
1 - 10 of 10 Posts