Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this in a thread but figured I would give it its own, so if others wanted to copy it . As you can see I added some squared tubbing and a scissor jack to take out some of the manual aspects of this tire changer. The chain goes down the center of the rim to hold the arm as I work the jack with the impact to break the bead. Works pretty well with lots of adjustment and way easier than trying to break a bead manually.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
I always like buying a raw piece of equipment and then after I will use it a couple of times I'll look at ways to improve it.

It does help having access to a lot of metal working tools like a couple of welders, chop saw, drill press, grinders, and the such.

I was actually looking at the other model from HF and just going over in my mind what I could do to improve it and make things easier.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks bad ***

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
Rob, did you look at the smaller one or did you just decided to go to the larger one to be able to break down larger tires?

I'm on the fence right now on which one to buy and can see advantages on each of them. All I would use it for is ATV and smaller tires but if the larger one works better then for another $10 it is worth it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob, did you look at the smaller one or did you just decided to go to the larger one to be able to break down larger tires?

I'm on the fence right now on which one to buy and can see advantages on each of them. All I would use it for is ATV and smaller tires but if the larger one works better then for another $10 it is worth it.
Jim , after using the larger unit I wouldn’t consider the smaller one. All I use it for is atv and lawnmower tires myself, I did end up bending the factory tubing and the bead breaker trying to break down a old stiff atv tire that had copious amounts of bead sealer on it. So that was a big reason for the mod. I also recommend getting 2 of the 24 inch tire irons from harbor freight, they work very well for the price. Search Results For "Tire Spoon"

Reactions: JimP

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
That is what I was thinking. I wondered about the sturdiness of the smaller one, and beefing up a part is always a good idea.

I have purchased quite a few of their hand tools and a floor jack but nothing like the tire changer where things are going to be working against each other.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do sell some good stuff for a home garage, I have one of their Pittsburgh 3 ton jacks and it’s been flawless for several years.
Search YouTube for ideas there’s tons of mods for the tire changer on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts